Topic

Grand Gulch questions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jim strong

@climbinggoat

Going to Grand Gulch in late November.

Never been.

Collins to Bullet or Kane to Bullet?

I only have time for 3 days in Grand Gulch. The car shuttle isn't an issue.

I want to know which way is a nicer walk. The elevation gain almost doesn't exist.

I just want to know if one is better than the other.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"The car shuttle isn't an issue."

If you plan on leaving a car at the exit point (versus having someone meet you there) be sure it capable in the mud. All it takes is one good soaker and a typical 2WD suburban car will just have to wait it out… or get stuck…and then wait.

So some of your decision will be based on road quality and how you plan to exit. Rangers at Kane Creek should be able to tell you what to expect.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Having a shuttle option is ideal in this area, it leaves you with so many different opportunities. I would go for Kane to Polly's Canyon or if you want to take your time more get out Bullet. Most people exit there, which is great but, the extra effort gets you 11 more great sites you see that are well worth it.

jim strong

@climbinggoat

thats the info I'm looking for

I'm well aware of the mud. But in November, that shouldn't be an issue.

the 11 extra sites sound good, thats why i'm going

I just wish I had time to explore the canyons on the opposite side of the highway from the bullet exit

jim strong

@climbinggoat

any insight you can give into government trailhead access?

i'm looking at the non-technical guide to the colorado plateau, it mentions the trailhead but the info he gives on road access is somewhat vague

i just picked up the book. i like it a lot, but i think he could have made it about 3 times bigger quite easily

we are reconsidering…possibly going kane-pollys

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

hope this helps, the finest resource on the web for AZ and other SW states… here's a link:

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1579
    and this:

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=2019
    and this:

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1283

jim strong

@climbinggoat

thanks for the links. you have been helpful.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

you're welcome, Jim. two things: the owner of HAZ recently started updating the site to host hike info for all states. there is not much member info related to the grand gulch area b/c it is in utah. in a few more years you'll see the trip reports for that area and member trip reports are one of the most useful items on the site.
    the other thing: i do not know if you noticed that at the right side of the page from any of those links, you'll see the nearest hikes given with their respective air miles. so you can view other hikes in the area, or you can go to the "Regions Map" from the navigation menu and look at ALL of the hikes in that region, ie N. Arizona and Utah. Like i said, the most bestest resource for the SW and we're lucky to have it. thanks, Joe, for all you do!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools