Topic

Baking Muffins – MmmMmmmHmmm!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Baking Muffins – MmmMmmmHmmm!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Mike C! are those paper cups?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks much for the info. I'm going to have to try this on my next trip!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

When I use parchment paper I usually grab the Reynolds brand. Works great.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Sarah is right, Reynolds works great. I'm currently using Publix store brand, so far it's working for me.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

MYOG foil "pan" that floats on the simmering water.

Baking

Another Variation.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

JJ….I love Publix! Whenever I am in Florida I go shopping ;-)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Well, paper cups! Now why didn't I think of that? Much easier than parchment. Great idea Mike C! They could be doubled to make them a little sturdier.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

I can see using paper cups as long as you're using a pot and have room for more than one cup. In my case I use a mug with room for only one cup. Also, I would think packing paper cups might be a bit of a hassle in preventing them from getting crushed, not that odd shaped muffins taste any different.

For my style of backpacking I'll stick with parchment, it packs flat and I can bake one large muffin (equals two or close to it) rather than one small one with the same amount of fuel, and I already know I can use the same pieces of parchment for two or three bakings and no pleats for crumbs to stick in.

It all comes down to personal choice and what works best for each.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

do any of you have a recipe for a brownie mix that ONLY needs water?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

My brownie recipe uses 1/3 cup of butter and a teeny bit of water (a few tablespoons). Butter helps keep the calories up. I can post it if you'd like to attempt making it without the butter.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Laurie, thank you, I can't have butter :( but others might appreciate you posting your recipe

I think I'll do a little experimenting with brownie mix in the box, just leave out the eggs.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When I am doing camp-style steam baking, I leave out about half of the water from a standard snack bread mix. That seems to work for muffins and anything that size.

If a recipe calls for eggs, I use either powdered egg whites or no eggs at all.

If a recipe calls for butter, I use either butter-flavored substitute, olive oil, canola oil, or some combination thereof.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If you steam bake brownies you don't need the eggs and yep, as Bob points out, you can swap in oil for butter. It isn't like baking – it less of a science and more forgiving.

An easy brownie to make I might add is No-Pudge brand which don't need oil or eggs to work – applesauce works even.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

JJ eggs are generally needed to help the ingredients rise and bind properly. That said you can make an egg free egg replacer quite easily…

Egg Replacers

I'll pull the recipe from my files later tonight or tomorrow and post it. It may very well work without the butter and I do know that applesauce, as Sarah suggested, will replace butter quite nicely if that helps.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Though personally I find that baby bananas or prunes tastes better than applesauce when I bake at home.

But on steam baking….it is highly forgiving and less fat can actually be a good thing – and it always tastes good when on the trail!

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools