Topic

Baking Muffins – MmmMmmmHmmm!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Baking Muffins – MmmMmmmHmmm!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

When steam baking I don't use rocks anymore. Just add enough water to the pot to float the batter/dough filled Ti400 cup. Works great and leaves me enough water for a cuppa.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Oh, of course, I should have used my cup. Is there any downside to that? How much batter can you put in the cup, or any mold, without having issues like uncooked batter? 1", 1.5", 2"?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

With Betty Crocker Warm Ones, I can fill my Evernew 400 about half full. A little less with Bisquick or Corn Bread.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

We eat muffins for breakfast about every other day on the trail. Put enough mix for two muffins in a small Glad baking bag, add water, knead until well mixed. Drop in 2qt. pot with about half inch of boiling water in the bottom, cook for 20 minutes. They don't brown, but taste and texture seems to be about the same.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I put pre-cooked sausage or bacon in my biscuit batter. Wish I had two right now.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I finally got a chance to bake some muffins on the trail. My wife and I cooked two banana chocolate chip muffins in about 30-35 min on approx. 1 oz of methanol using my FeatherFire stove open 1 full turn (out of 6).

The muffins were delicious and I'm going to keep doing this, but we do need to make more somehow in the future. One muffin each is really just a tease.JDF16

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Use the large "Squishy Bowl"

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

That's a fantastic idea Jeff!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And the squishy bowls are silicone as well – in all honesty, most any silicone baking dish will work great. Just look for a temp rating of 350 to 450* :-)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

MUFFIN steam-baking skills!

Instructional video:

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

What Size are the silicone baking cups used in the video, 3 inch or 1.9 inch?

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Since first reading this thread I knew I wanted to give steam baking a try. Bought the silicon cups, baked muffins, cornbread, biscuits and scrambled eggs. YUMM!

my question is, how well do paper cups work with steam baking?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Paper gets soggy but the aluminum cupcake liners sold next to them in stores work perfect! They are as light as the paper :-)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Many of those aluminum ones are paper lined and it just creates a mess when steam baking. Just my opinion, but the silicone ones are the way to go and the muffins come out nicely.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

On the foil ones….Reynolds sells them and while they are stacked foil, paper, foil,paper….all one does is pluck the paper off and use the foil. They do this for two reasons: the foil doesn't stick together when shipped and as well when most people bake muffins they want the paper for the inside and the foil for show.
    So simple: you just use the foil. Not hard at all. The weight is extremely minimal for a pack.

While silicone liners do work best they also weigh the most of all options. And are much pricier when a person is not sure they will be doing a lot of steam baking.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

I've been using the silicon cups and everything turns out great. BUT, the clean up is a pain. No, the muffins or whatever isn't sticking, but little bits of dough gets caught in the pleats inside the cup. At home cleaning isn't a big deal, but in the woods it's more troublesome. I was asking about paper, if they worked then I could burn the cups when done with baking.

Sarah- I'll give the foil version a try, thanks

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

If you let the muffins cool a bit longer the dough generally doesn't get caught. I usually let mine cool for 5 to 10 minutes and have never had an issue.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Laurie- your suggestion to let cool a little longer helped a lot, thanks. Still dough remains in the pleats, but much, much easier to clean up.

I think I'll try a drop of olive oil and wipe inside the cup next time to see if that makes it even cleaner.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I don't know whether or not it will work on silicone baking cups, but I've found that lightly coating the interior of a baking pan reduces the amount of stuff that sticks to it a lot.

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

After using the sil-cups on a few weekend trips, I decided the clean up was still more than I wanted to deal with, yes I like things simple. So, I started to think about an easier and more UL solution. Parchment paper, tried it, liked it, perfect solution for me, a solo hiker, I don't bake for groups, but on occasion maybe a hiking buddy. Jim Bailey are you listening… :-P

By cutting the paper and lining my mug I get one big muffin, no clean up, lighter than the sil-cups, easier to pack, I'm able to use the same pieces of parchment for two-three rounds of baking and parchment paper makes great fire starter. I did a test this morning using an esbit tab, worked out great.

Using my Trail Designs Caldera Tri-Ti ULC cone, 2-Ti stakes, the grate from the wood burner portion of the Tri-Ti was used as my riser inside the mug, GramCracker stove with Esbit tab and my Mountain Laurel Designs 850ml Ti mug.

Cookset

Muffin mix is premixed at home and packed in a ziploc bag with all the ingredients, in camp I add water to the bag and knead, line the mug with parchment paper (precut at home to fit mug,) add batter to mug and place over flame for 12-13 min.

mug lined

mmmmmmm, tasty muffins, scones, biscuits…next best thing to the yummy muffin, there's no clean up, simply let the parchment air dry from the moisture created by the steam, brush off any crumbs, fold and store for the next round or use as fire starter.muffins

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Just noticed your post JJ – great idea!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Parchment paper is great and I use it quite a bit. Beware though… some brands are not very useful. I wrote a blog post about it a while back. My friend had bought a brand called Multi-Bake when he was visiting the US on a shopping trip. Here's the story…

parchment paper — a brand to avoid

edited to format link

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've no doubt this is a silly question, but you do add water to the cooking pot, correct? How much water is in there (or how much below the top of the screen insert)? And is there a reason you double line the cookpot with the parchment paper?

Thanks much,

Doug

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Douglas- not silly at all, yes I add water to the mug, about 1/2-inch so it's just slightly below the grate/screen insert

parchment paper- I use two pieces rather than one, one wraps around the wall of the mug and the second piece covers the bottom. It's just easier to use two pieces with a narrow mug.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

– this thread warms my heart.self

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools