Topic

anyone looking for a nice (and very reasonably priced) ul spinning outfit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara anyone looking for a nice (and very reasonably priced) ul spinning outfit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

found a nice Quantum pack rod/reel combo for $30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110421573269&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_849wt_760

the reel is Quantum xtralight, three ball bearing ul spinning reel- weighs 5.5 oz

the rod is a Quantum four piece 5' ul graphite rod- weighs 3.1 oz

I've had (have) several Quantum rod/reels that I've throughly enjoyed and was a little skeptical on this kit as it was so cheap (my belief is these are discontinued models)

mine arrived today and the quality looks very good- graphite pack rod w/ a three bearing reel for $30 is pretty reasonable :)

the bag it comes in weighs a ton won't be very handy (for backpacking) but for car use will be good

I'm picking up a lightweight tube (and some 2 lb test) to complete the outfit

Mike

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks for the heads up. This looks interesting. I don't know too much about the state of the market for 'ultralight' spinning rod (it's been years since I've bought a rod). Is 5.5oz for a reel and 3.1oz for the rod about as light as it gets?

Would this be better? I'm not sure if 4.8oz refers to the total weight, or just the reel (or rod):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Backpacking-4-Pc-Ultralight-Spinning-Pack-Rod-Combo_W0QQitemZ200403925612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea9013a6c

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I pulled the trigger and bought one. $29 is too good to pass up. Now I gotta buy some line and find a lighter way to carry my lures.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Mine arrived today. Mike's weights were right on. I recorded 154g for the reel (5.44oz) and 88g (3.11oz) for the rod for a total of 242g (8.55oz).

The included carry bag weighs a laughable 541g and wouldn't even protect the rod very well as it's a soft bag.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Here's a little proof that rod does indeed work. I caught this 18" freshwater Coastal Cutthroat Trout this afternoon with this rod, 4lbs test line and a small red & white spoon.

18" freshwater Coastal Cutthroat Trout

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Dan,

Nice fish, well done.

Tony

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools