Topic

Propane to Butane-Propane Stove Conversion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Propane to Butane-Propane Stove Conversion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

Locale: SLO County

Is it possible/feasible to convert a straight propane stove to burn butane-propane fuel cells?

b.gin

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Bailey, I think the jet size might be slightly different.

Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

I don't think the "jet" size may matter??????
    Coleman StoveColeman Stove II

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bailey

Yes, it can be done. As Rog wrote, I think you will need to replace the jet used with propane with a slightly smaller one. The reason is a bit complex and has to do with the fact that butane requires more air than propane for proper combustion. To get the extra air you need a higher gas velocity, which requires a smaller jet.

But I am fascinated by the picture. That's a Coleman Peak Apex II stove which normally runs off white gas or kero. I used one for many years with kero – but it stank and was always sooty. Who did the conversion to LPG? It looks nicely done. If it was done by Coleman there is no record of such a unit on their web site.

The conversion is more complex with this stove as the jet is at the end of the preheat tube – a complex bit in its own right. It may be that the original petrol jet was used anyhow, in which case you might find that no further change is needed. But if the jet was changed to one most suited to propane I would expect an increase in size would be justified.

But even the preheat tube has been modified. In the original it used to go over the burner and enter the burner chamber from the other side. In your stove it goes straight in. Is this the original preheat tube (the conversion would be hugely complex), or has it been replaced with a custom unit? Does the control valve on the stove still have a wire up the preheat tube to the jet? I would love to know!

More details please! Including of the valve which goes on the LPG bottle. Fascinating!

Cheers

Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

Hi Roger. This is a stock Coleman Peak 1 Model 5452-700, remote propane tank stove. Won on Ebay, but didn't include a manual or the tank stand. I could not find any info on the net either except for this: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/parts/product_category2.asp?category_id=210

I also won on Ebay a week before a Coleman Mountaineer Series Model 3025-701 stove (right)…dare say almost identical twins.
    Coleman Stove IIIColeman Stove IV
    The manual on this one is dated Nov 1997.

The valve on the LPG bottle is the "regulator knob"…OFF and ON has 7 position clicks for what I quess is fuel volumn flow control.
    valve valve II
    The valve on the stove is the "burner valve"…will not turn off the stove but will adjust the flame in any of the 7 position clicks. Rotates 180 degrees. Connects to a regular 16.4oz propane tank or, with the right hose, to a bulk refillable propane cylinder.

Burner head:burner head
    The outer ring is the windscreen with the attached 5 fins acting as, I guess, wind deflectors. The jets are around a disk-like device at the bottom of the shallow bowl.
    The built-in windscreen does a great job of blocking wind…these are the only stoves that I've gotten 1L water to a roiling boil at 12-15mph winds without any sort of wind
    protection.

Roger, need anymore info, just ask and I'll answer best I can. BTW, I enjoy reading your posts and articles…most informative. Thanks

Bailey

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bailey

Well, well. A new one on me. But since the Peak Apex I have is labelled Peak Apex II, I should have guessed there would be a Peak Apex I. Sort of logical. :-)

Coleman will list spares for a long time after a stove goes out of production, but searching their web site for 5450, 5452 or Peak is very non-rewarding. EDIT: I found the spare parts listed under '3025-701 : Propane Stove'. But there were only 2 bits left in stock. I think they ceased using 'Peak' a long time ago. I suspect these stoves went out of production a very long time ago – maybe 15+ years. I think they list spares until the warehouse runs out.

Yes, I know how the air inlet underneath works as I have a (pumped-tank) Peak II. Much of it has actually been rebuilt using either stuff I made myself or spare parts Coleman sent me. It had a hard life!

The five fins are both useful wind-deflectors and essential pot supports – and very light ones too. But mine never gave me any problems there.

You know, my recommendation would be to keep these two stoves as LPG stoves for use at fixed camps in the snow in winter. They look as though they are still in good condition, and should serve you well. You would have the extra problem of converting the propane connection to a screw-thread connection. Possible, but the parts are hard to find.

I would buy a new lightweight remote canister stove for winter walking.

Thanks for the pics – fascinating.

Cheers

Bailey Gin
    Spectator

@pugslie

Roger

Spares parts…it will be cheaper to buy another stove for parts…I paid $50 total for the 2. According to Coleman, just a complete hose assembly cost ~$26. Also noted some of the WG/dual fuel stoves parts have the same part numbers as mine.

These stoves fit perfectly into my "tail-gating" cooking scheme :). Can't see wasting the expensive lindal valve gas canisters for that!

Winter walking…already have a Coleman Xpert Powermax (with fuel adapter), Snow Peak GS-300A, Optimus NOVA or SVEA 123 to use for that…maybe even my Bushbuddy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools