Topic

Summit pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I recently hiked from Bishop, CA's South Lake to Mt. Whitney on the John Muir Trail. My highest pack weight including 8 days of food and 2 liters of water was about 35lbs. I know this is an excessive weight to most of you but this is remarkable for me and it also includes a Garcia bear cannister). (My base weight is 16-17 lbs.)

One thing I wished I had taken along was a summit pack for side excursions including Whitney. This summit pack would need to hold a little food, some water, and maybe a rain cover. Any suggestions?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

cheap…REI flash UL

light but more expensive, a z-packs pack.

David Ure

@familyguy

What about a Golite Ion, or is that too big?

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

I have a Dana Designs Kompressor (10oz). I believe Marmot now carries this design. I did not take this pack along because to avoid the added 10oz for the 100 mile trek.

I was actually wondering if there is a product that weighs less than 5 oz. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

There is, it's called z-packs. under 3 oz.

David Ure

@familyguy

Under 3oz? That's crazy! But in a good way.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Christopher, these Zpacks look very cool. The guy says he's on the Continental Divide Trail but will be back in December.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml

The smaller packs (1000/1400 cu in) each weigh in around 2oz and they double as a sleeping bag stuff-sack so effectively they are weightless in your main pack.

This is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Larry

James Arriola
    BPL Member

@ravs4fun

Locale: Desert Southwest

I normally carry a small key chain backpack for summit attempts. It's from a company called Kiva Designs. It weighs about 2.5 ounces and costs about $10 from any major luggage store such or even Hush Puppies & Family shoe store. It's fold's up into it's own storage pocket. It only has about 600 cubic inches so not too big.

It's pretty fragile and I wouldn't carry too much weight in it. It has served it's purpose very well on the summit trail to Whitney last year and day tripping in the Escalante River area of Utah. Thanks.

James

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

An REI Flash pack can be trimmed down to 6.1 oz, by removing everything (waist belt, sternum strap, lash straps, and interior pockets), except the (shortened) shoulder straps, the main bag, and the drawstring closure system.

Still not as light as the z-pack, but if you need a summit pack before December, you can get an REI Flash.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Integral Designs has an option at 4.5oz. Just a stuffsack with straps so $50 is kinda steep. If you can sew or know someone who can it would be an easy project.

http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=770&CFID=1011840&CFTOKEN=74561482&mainproducttypeid=1

Montbell has a couple sizes of a model called "Pocketable Day Pack". These are in the 7oz range. I have an older version I like for travel/carry-on.

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=36

Stuart Allie

@stuart-allie

Locale: Australia

There's a slightly cheaper option at oware – $43 for a 2.9oz "stuffsack + straps", 1050 ci capacity.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

All of these options look great but the "Make Your Own" UL Daypack seems interesting.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Some links to MYOG packs:
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/myog.html
    The 1 oz pack at gg looks interesting and not too hard to make (simple is lighter anyway).
    http://thru-hiker.com/projects/lab_pack.php

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

The GG 1oz pack looks cool but it may be a little over my head in the sewing department. I purchased a couple of straps and a 1oz silnylon 20L stuff sack. I think if I can somehow sew or attach the straps to the stuff sack then it would be a perfect summit pack to carry a windbreaker, some water, and some food for a side trip.

Any ideas on how to attach or sew straps onto silnylon? Do I need some kind of backing to sew into?

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Used it for my last hike in Greenland,
    as a stuff bag for my mirage sleeping bag,
    for summit hiking or fishing

one strap was enough for low weights, and the lenght from shoulder to waist meaned it would stay in place on my back without sliding when full.

sump

sump 2

sump3

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Very cool design…plus it holds that bottle of wine very nicely! So you sewed the straps in at the silnylon seam. That seems like a good idea.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

I was intrigued by the idea of making my own LW daypack so I purchased a SIL nylon bag (30L) and some straps from REI. The bag weighs 1oz and the three straps weigh about 1oz each before cutting them down. I am pretty happy with the result. I wear it with the shoulder straps crossed over my chest and the waist strap cinched. I have tried it out with a 2L water bladder, a lunch, and a jacket plus a few essentials. It carries very well.

I put it on a scale after cutting the straps down as much as I dare and it weighs in at 3.5oz. I guess I could have purchased one that weighed 2oz but I am still happy with my own creation.

Here is a couple of pictures:
    Home made summit pack 3.5oz

Homemade Summit Pack (end view)

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Very clever. Green clips nice contrast.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Congrats on a successful project.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I'm trying to think of a way to adapt my REI Flash to use as a chest pack with the stuff in it I use during the day, then I will have it to use for day hikes.

Rather than just carrying it as a stuff sack in the pack.

I could just "S" clip it to the pack shoulder straps, but I'm not sure if that will be comfortable.

Maybe I should just try it and see.

Any thoughts/ideas?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Nice job, by the way, on the MYOG!

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow. Interesting.

Not my definition of a summit pack but we all climb in different areas….(I would shred that very quickly with my harness).

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

David Lutz: Are you talking about the REI Flash 18? That weighs 10oz but if you are just using it as a removable extension to your pack then it effectively would not add weight provided that you need the extra space. It looks like a nice pack.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

David Ure: I am not planning on having my feet off the ground for my kind of summit. I am mostly planning on using this day pack for side excursions where you would not be taking your full pack. This pack I made is perfect for that even though it could be lighter like the Oware product. Of course the Oware is only 17.5L and mine is 30L (1850 cu in)

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Yes, the Flash 18, it is a nice day pack…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools