Topic

New Back Pack – MYOG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New Back Pack – MYOG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Kevin asked?
    how’s your AT gearlist shaping up?

I am working on a new backpack. I am using some of the ideas from the new Mountain Hardwear Exodus series frame. I thought about buying the pack with my REI discount plus a small dividend but the frame alone weighs so much (3 pounds 8+oz). I decided to see if I could make something like it but much lighter. I am about finished with a cardboard mockup. I can use Titanium for the “frame sheet” sort of thing at about 7oz or maybe Carbon Fiber sheet at about 1/3 that weight and Carbon Fiber Tubes to replace what ever they use. I have to call or email about the Carbon Fiber sheet.

The pack bag will be made out of Cuben and will not weigh much.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

why no frameless pack?

what happened to the external frame pack idea?

Whatever, I cant wait to see this project, an 8-9oz pack with a titanium frame.Amazing

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Q -1. why no frameless pack?
    A -1. I don’t like a frameless pack if I expect to carry more than a few pounds or if I am on a long hike. I also don’t like anything that complety lays against my back. For a hike of a day or two it is OK, for more than that I want some ventilation. Remember I am old.

Q -2. what happened to the external frame pack idea?
    A -2. This frame will be a sort of hybrid if it works like I hope. Have you had a chance to look at one of the Exodus Packs in person? The Exodus are made in two parts, the stand alone frame and the pack bag. I lot of really good ideas but heavy.

Q -3. Whatever, I cant wait to see this project, an 8-9oz pack with a titanium frame.Amazing
    A -3. I have a Titanium/Carbon Fiber Frame (9oz-) that my Cuben Pack (2.10oz) and my G6 (3.4oz) attach to.

If it works out the frame should be over-kill up to say 15 pounds but very good up to 30 + pounds. This is really where I am going with the idea and the hoped for light weight. Think Summit pack or winter pack where you need more pack volumn.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Bill have you seen the lowe alpine pure air system. It is great ventilation and I think it looks like a preety good Idea. there is a picture on the lowe alpine website. I bet you could mkae something like that for fairly light.

I have not seen the mountain hardwear packs. but hybrid packs can be cool

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

here is a picture

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

This is what the two frames used for the Exodus pack series look like with the pack bags removed.

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

Bill,

Take a look at the McHale backpad on the new packs. It couldn’t be simpler. He has a piece of evozate foam with holes in it. Wrapped with mesh on one side, nylon on the other. It velcros right to the back of the pack.

Bob

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

that sounds great.

I think a good system would be a carbon framesheet, and carbon exo frame like on the pure air zone system. and an evozate foam with holes wrapped in mesh on the top and bottom like the pure air.

sorry Bill, I know you like that mountain hardwear frame, but I have not seen it, so I am spitting out some other ideas.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I have looked and relooked at most of the packs you are talking about. They all have things in there favor. You really need to get your hands on this pack and take the bag off and look it over, play with it, take it apart etc. I like some parts and other parts are just OK.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools