Topic

AL dude moving to ID: General Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion AL dude moving to ID: General Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

how about Stephenson's Warmlite?

http://www.warmlite.com/tents.htm

Andy Shepard
    Spectator

@callook66

Locale: Boise, ID

"Do you think you'll want to sleep in alpine (above timberline) areas?"

Yes. I may not very often, but I'd like to have that option. I've been looking at the GoLite Utopia 2+.
    Here's a link to it:
    http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=SH6115&mc=155&t=&lat=

Here's a BPL thread about it:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11874&skip_to_post=193632

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

A couple of reasons why climbers prefer freestanding are that they can have a smaller footprint and generally they are easier to erect .
    The "pole inside" tents in particular (Bibler/ID/Rab) can be used as a large bivy to get quickly out of the weather. Hold the tent, get inside, then set the poles in place and hopefully your companion will be brave enough to go out and fix the guylines.
    At high altitude the brain slows down, so easy does it…
    But yes, if you look carefully , they almost always use loads of guyouts.
    And no, I don't do any of that but I know guys that do…
    Franco

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

Personally, I wouldn't trust the Utopia for the conditions we're talking about. Based on those pictures that Steve posted, it looks like that thing would be really hard to stake down tightly to the ground…which could allow wind under the shelter. With strong enough winds, I could see the Utopia getting torn right out from "under" you.

I use a Hex 3 in the winter. Most of the time it's set up in the trees, in protected areas. I've had it above tree line in the Presidential Range twice…both times dealing with maybe 40 to 50 MPH winds at night. Because of the shape of the Hex (I think?), the winds aren't able to get under the tent enough to compromise it's integrity, but spindrift does get thrown into it at times. Not life threatening or anything, but definitely not ideal either.

Also, not having a vestibule is an issue for both the shelters. If you open the tent in any kind of strong winds, you've got to be really careful.

If I were you, I'd start a separate thread in the "G Spot" subforum, and ask for recommendations. If I was looking to spend significant time alpine camping in winter, I'd personally be looking at a Stephensons, Hilleburg, or BD…but I just can't justify that kind of expenditure for the miminal use I'd get out of. I just borrow friends' shiite when I go on those trips. ;-)

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools