Topic

Need clothes for hiking in June-Early Sept

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Need clothes for hiking in June-Early Sept

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Hi guys, i am unfamiliar with proper layering, i dont know which layers i need and am also not aware of what everyone recommends these days, effective setup i can.

I will be thru hiking the AT over 2 summers in sections NOBO, so whatever gear i get will have to deal with the coldest the at can throw during july-late august.

After hours, and hours of reading, i am sold on the driclime windshirt from marmot-at around 40 bucks online it appears to be a good deal.

i need everything from shoes, to socks, to underwear, to shells, basically everything.

I currently live in ky, and hike here, i will be hiking here for the next few years until i can do the at in 2012 or so, so really my gear needs to work in ky too. (humid) BEcause i do not want to have to buy all new clothes when i do the AT-maybe only one or two pieces.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

You can always try this link for more info on clothes:

Mark Verber Equipment Link

It has a lot of good info on fabrics, what to wear and when to wear it.

Edit: fixed link. BPL NEEDS to find an easier way to make links in the forums…..

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

I recommend that you try out various layers and combinations on long (3-5 mile) neighborhood walks and day hikes to discover what works best for you. Based on my experience with the Marmot DriClime, your next-to-skin layer could be a lightweight t-shirt (synthetic or merino wool), with a lightweight long sleeve (synthetic or merino wool) for slightly cooler temps. That base layer top should be comfortable hiking into the 50's, adding the Driclime as needed for wind, rest stops and for some additional warmth when you first start (before your body warms up). Add a knit or fleece hat and gloves as and when you need them. Liner gloves combined with fleece mittens will keep your hands comfortable down to freezing and perhaps into the 20s.

For lower temps, I add a vest (fleece or Patagonia micropuff), but the DriClime may be sufficient extra warmth while you're hiking. For "hanging out" (i.e. non-hiking time), a light down insulating jacket/parka will help to keep you warm when the temps drop toward freezing. I like the MontBell light alpine parka, but there are many favorites.

I find that I don't usually need to layer up on my legs until temps get near freezing (unless its windy), and my first additional leg layer (after my rain pants) is a medium-weight synthetic (Patagonia or REI). Outer leg layer is usually my normal hiking pants. For warmer in-camp leg insulation, the MontBell Thermawrap or Down Inner Pant are good choices.

Mostly you will need to try differing combinations to find out what works for you. One learning goal is to wear enough to stay comfortable, but peel off layers if you are starting to sweat.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I have a JRB no sniv topquilt, which i plan to use as down jacket:

concerns:

it getting wet, looking goofy =/, saves money i dont have to spend on a down jacket

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Who cares if you look goofy. If it saves a pound or two its a good thing. I would be more concerned about keeping it dry.

I think some redundant gear makes sense for a long hike just for some amount of safety. If hypothermia is not a real concern I say go for it.

I have been in one situation when I was wearing a poncho and got wet. No other options, due to violent weather, high winds and wind driven rain at 12k. If I would have been wearing a quilt for a jacket under it would have gotten wet and I probably would have been screwed.

On the AT you are never that far from civilization so maybe its not such a big deal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools