Topic

Trail Mix Recipes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Trail Mix Recipes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

For those of you that make your own trail mixes, post your favorite trail mix recipe here.

On that very subject, does anyone have the trail mix recipe that NOLS uses on its courses? I'm not sure whether they use the same standard trail mix recipe all of the time, or if they vary it depending on availability of ingredients or cost. If the former is the case, could someone please kindly post it? I'm feeling nostalgic for my NOLS course and the trail mix I had…

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

Caramel/Apple candy corn
    Apple chips
    peanuts

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

cashews and dark chocolate m&m's

cashews, candied stem ginger, cranberries and raisins

vanilla almonds, pepitas, and cherries

Snyder's honey mustard pretzel pieces, smoked almonds and dried veggies

gosh – it really depends on my mood – what's in the pantry and what everyone else is in the mood for

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

craisins, yogurt covered raisins, dried banana chips

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Usually I have some of my dried bananas and apples (both not as dry as the commercial variety) and for a few months dried apricots from my tree. To that I add the usual nut mix (partial to almonds,cashews and brazil nuts…) . On my last trip I enjoyed craisins as well as chocolate chips similar to the M&M (part of a nut mix)
    At times I crave dates and figs.
    Occasionally I have had mango as well but hard to find the kind I like. Must have a go at drying that too.
    Oh, my last batch of pineapple was pretty good too. More like candy (lots of sugar…) than dried fruit , but nice nevertheless.
    Franco

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Okay – here's a little tidbit coming out in my next book. Try slicing the pineapple and sprinkling it with cinnamon. Then place it on the grill or under the broiler. Once it is softened and slightly charred in spots take it off the grill, cut it into smaller pieces and dry it. Totally delicious… if I do say so myself. Now if only I could find a way to keep the guys out of it before our trip. They've eaten 2/3rd's of it already!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I did add a bit of cinnamon to mine but dried it in my food dryer. My problem is that I make my recipes up as I go along and by the time I realise that I have a winner I have forgotten exactly what I did…
    I add cinnamon to my apples too.
    Next time I will try the grill bit, I think that I get the idea , sort of caramellizing it. Thanks for that.
    Franco

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Here's an Aussie one;

Kelloggs Nutri-grain Iron Man food
    Cashews
    Dried Noodles
    Chilli Powder
    Sultanas

Pack into a ziploc and away you go.

Cheers
    Mark

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Back in the 1980's in the NOLS Cascades trips the recipe for Trail Mix was granola we made, plus "whatever" we felt we could spare that the rations provided like dried fruits, nuts and sometime candy.

John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

I made it so 3.3oz would be lotsa calories. I use 1/2 oz of each of these ( a little less sunflower, little more peanut and m&m)
    sunflower
    cashew –
    raisins ,cranberries
    almonds
    m&m
    Hazelnuts
    peanut butter pretzels

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I thought everyone sucked on tubes of emulsified pringles mixed with almond butter.

This is my fave:
    Mostly
    – shelled pistachio nuts
    – raisins
    – mini snicker type bars

Sprinkled with
    – gummy bears
    – jelly belly beans
    – sour patch kids

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Chocolate covered coffee/expresso beans are pure gold in trail mix.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Could they be related to espresso?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Uhh…yeah they're sorta related but they're much faster to eat :)

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Okay, silly question here. Can you just go down to your local Starbucks, purchase a bag of Espresso beans, and just throw a handful in there? Are they edible in that form?

The reason I ask, is that I am a huge fan of chocolate-covered coffee beans. However, I always assumed that the beans are treated/toasted/etc. for "raw" comsumption. I have never seen anyone reach into a coffee bag and pop some beans in their mouth, hence the reason for my perception.

Coffee beans in a trail mix for an extra pick-me-up or boost would be a great idea.

Thanks for the trail mix recipes, by the way. Please keep 'em coming!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes, the plain beans are quite edible. They are the same as the ones used in the choc. covered ones. Only difference is the chocolate tastes better than plain ;-) But! By variety plain coffee beans can be much harder to chew – and honestly many won't taste good. So tread lightly on this, the dipped ones are heavily roasted.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Mixed salted nuts and M&Ms in a 50/50 ratio. Never got tired of it!

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Sarah,

So, basically toasting a handful of Starbucks beans in a non-oiled pan for a minute or so should do the trick, no?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

1:1:1:1

Raisens
    peanuts
    m&m's
    granola

son;t really know what the calories are on this… maybe someone will know.. buts its delishous!

-Jace

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"So, basically toasting a handful of Starbucks beans in a non-oiled pan for a minute or so should do the trick, no?"

Perhaps. All i know is that regular coffee beans will not work in the form that you get them. Way too hard to chew. The chocolate covered ones almost turn to dust in your mouth so they must be very dehydrated/roasted. Cooking them in a pan might just burn the outside but it's worth trying. Coffee beans will give you a good caffeine kick.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

So the 64 million dollar question is, when someone decides to make chocolate-covered coffee beans, how do they drive the moisture from the coffee bean to give it that disintigrating quality when you bite into one. Roasting? Dehydrating? Hmmm… Off to Google…
    Jackpot!

Found this recipe here: http://www.busymomsrecipes.com/misc-001.htm

1 c whole coffee beans
    4 oz. milk chocolate pieces
    3 tablespoons of cocoa

Preheat oven to 350º F. Place coffee beans on baking pan and roast for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. In double boiler, melt chocolate until very creamy. Add coffee beans and stir until completely coated. Remove with slotted spoon allowing excess chocolate to drip off and place beans on waxed paper so they do not stick together. Once the coffee beans have cooled sufficiently, but the chocolate is still a little soft, roll the beans in your hands to form round balls. Roll each one in cocoa and set aside until chocolate has hardened. Makes about 1 ½ cups.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Nice job. Looks like you win the 64 million prize! Now give this recipe a test and report back.

At my local grocery store (which is uber-expensive because I live in Whistler), chocolate covered beans are $1.88 per 100g which corresponds to $8.53/lbs. I can't even buy regular coffee beans for that price. Here decent whole bean coffee goes for $10-$15/lbs. Accordingly, I'm not sure what the appeal is in spending time making your own unless they taste better or you find it gratifying to have made them yourself.

John A

@johna

Locale: Great Lakes State

This thread reminded me to go hunting for something I've been wondering about for awhile. Found it!

http://www.hackerstickers.com/products/shock-a-lots-chocolate-covered-coffee-beans.shtml

M&M-like candy-coated chocolate-covered espresso beans: sounds like a warm weather winner to me (there goes my new invention though).

The above link is just the first place I've found them. Hopefully there are other, maybe more affordable options.

JohnA

****Edit: $8.49/lb here seems better: http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolatessweets/chocolate-covered-espresso-beans/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools