Topic

Gearlist for this Weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gearlist for this Weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Adrien Baker

@adrien

This is my first time ever examining my gear for a trip. I'm not really trying for UL, however I am at least trying to be 'aware' of what I'm taking along this time. I'm still working on some gear selection and I haven't calculated in food, water or fuel yet. This trip is in a week so I'm not going to be replacing anything at the moment, but I'm definitely going to look for some lighter options in the 'Big 3' arena for next year. Also, I know some of my clothing choices are unconventional but I like to wear what's comfortable for me.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ak923OQtI9BgdFN4LS1wdC1QOUY1YWdSWGtvS3BkMGc&hl=en

We're hiking from South Fork Campground to Hockett Lakes: http://books.google.com/books?id=x9w0TEnnSv4C&lpg=PA49&ots=zN26z0qnn8&dq=south%20fork%20campground%20%2Bgarfield%20grove%20%2Bsequoia%20hikes&pg=PA47#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Adrien

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the thing that jumps out at me is the amount/number of clothing items- for a weekend trip usually the only spare clothing items taken are a dry pair of socks

typically a upper base layer is worn as your shirt (capilene/merino, etc), light pair of shorts, briefs and a pair of socks

in the pack- wind/rain gear, a thermal layer upper (you fleece jacket would door maybe the merino sweater- what does it weigh?)), a lower base layer (your capilene 3's)- used for around camp, sleeping if temp dictates, potentially worn hiking if conditions dictate and a spare set of socks

you could shave a fair amount weight just leaving some pieces home

also if you use a trash bag as a liner you can probably ditch the waterproof stuff sack- you can use the day pack as a stuff sack letting it do double duty

fishing tackle but no pole? :)

Adrien Baker

@adrien

Thanks for the advice. I'm still figuring out the weights on some things and deciding on my clothing. I'll definitely take your advice on limiting what I bring. The sweater is in the mail (should be here tomorrow) alas, no weight measurement yet–and I haven't weighed the fishing pole yet. I really just weighed all of my options (no pun intended) and threw them on the list to examine them. I'm trying to see what my total weight for 'required' items is before I start throwing in the 'luxury' stuff.

Adrien

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Does not look that bad to me.

A set of driducks could replace the rain and wind gear and weighs 10oz. Cheap.

You could lose weight all the way through on the big 4.
    Montbell #3 30dF spiral is – 19oz
    GG mariposa plus pack – 24oz
    32 oz tent of some sort. I think Tim built a 2 person tent lighter than that.
    A neoair regular is 14 oz and very comfy
    I use a blue pad under so my total for pad is 18 oz

Just those items would save you 6#

MB Thermawrap jacket is like 10-11 oz, IE lighter than fleece.

Stove is heavy. For a weekend or maybe longer alcohol would do. My complete eating kit weighs less than 5 oz.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, your clothing mix needs some work, as does your pack and shelter– all according to your budget for the future of course.

Getting a good selection of ultralight clothing took more mind-bending than anything else for me. It depends on season, local climate and personal metabolism too.

Too many shirts— one base layer for backup/sleep, one shirt worn. One insulation layer. Cap 3 bottoms are good for sleeping if your bag is weak for the season/climate, but heavier if they don't fit into the rest of your gear. I don't see any wind/rain pants, but you are wearing denim shorts– bad if you get wet. How about some lighter, quick-dry shorts?

Are you really going hiking in Sanuk SUV's?

Adrien Baker

@adrien

I'm really only planning on taking 2 shirts–I like to hike in the button up and wear the lightweight L/S around camp and when I sleep. I usually put the long underwear on once it cools down in the evening and then go to sleep in them. I understand the denim/cotton shorts are unconventional but it's more of a personal choice to me. I'm not fond of lightweight synthetic shorts yet–I need to try to get used to them. I like the comfort and durability of denim.

I guess I'm just holding out that there won't be any rain–if the forecast changes by the weekend I might reconsider. I'm waiting for the merino sweater to arrive in the mail and depending on weight I'm considering pairing that with my NF jacket for insulation and (hopefully not) rain.

And yes, I'm definitely going hiking in my Sanuk SUV's. I've yet to find a more comfortable shoe–I've been wearing different varieties casually for almost a year now and I've tried the SUV's out on a few day hikes–put maybe 30 miles total on them so far. This will be my first multiple day trip with them and I'm anxious to see how they do.

Thanks for the tips–I'm definitely (slowly) going to work on my kit for next season.

Adrien

Adrien Baker

@adrien

The sweater wasn't as light as I'd hoped. Another user mentioned it on here and it was rather inexpensive so I thought I'd give it a shot. Anyway, it comes in at 13.5 ounces but I'm sure the performance to weight ratio is far better then my other options.

Adrien

Adrien Baker

@adrien

I was pretty happy with my gear this weekend, especially my hydration/filtration setup. I'm going to post some pictures and details later. Anyway, it was a great trip but I can't wait to upgrade to some lightweight gear.

Adrien

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools