Topic

7 Yr Old JMT Thru Hiker — Update?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 7 Yr Old JMT Thru Hiker — Update?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

JMT Thru Hikers, Age 7 and 10 with Dad, 20090730 near Muir Trail Ranch headed NOBO

JMT Thru Hikers, Age 7 and 10 with Dad, 20090730 near Muir Trail Ranch headed NOBO

Did anybody else see the 7 and 10 year old doing the entire JMT NOBO this summer? I took this photo of the two kids with their Dad as they were going Northward out of Muir Trail Ranch (about 4-5 hours Northbound from MTR), 7-30-2009. Any update? Did they finish ok? I presume they would as they had made it that far North when we met them.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

A poster on JohnMuirTrail@YahooGroups posted this:

Are these the boys you met? According to http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html :
    Youngest person to thru-hike JMT in a single trip:

2009 Camden Watson – age 7. On 8/11/09 Camden Watson 7yrs old (Born Aug. 2001) arrived at Happy Isles trailhead in Yosemite Valley having completed the JMT carrying a base weight of 17lbs, resupplying in Muir Trail Ranch & Mammoth Lakes. Camden, his brother, Andrew (10yrs old) and his father Jason, (34yrs old) began the hike on the 19th of July from Whitney Portal. Andrew (carrying a base weight 35lbs) just missed the record himself by a few months.

Looks like they made it!

Bunny

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

That must be one tough little 7 year old (no offense to the 10 year old either). Nice to see a family spending time together like that. I wanted to take my little brother (11 now) and do the Colorado Trail but Mom said no. He's kept up with me on some pretty tough trips. When he was nine he started to inisist on carrying all his personal gear AND an even share of the food.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

10 yr old carrying 34 lb base weight…tough kid!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Cool beans. But in 2002 (I think) I met a family on whitney who were just finishing a thruhike. Three generations, including three or four kids with the youngest one only carrying a stuffed teddy bear. I want to say that he was five years old.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Those are tough kids but I really don't see the reason why they need to carry so much gear.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Congratulations to these kids (and their dad.)

We saw them on Mather Pass in the early morning of the 27th. The kids looked like they were having fun. Glad they made it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools