Topic

Mini wood-gas stove for nesting in a Trapper mug.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mini wood-gas stove for nesting in a Trapper mug.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

Well this is only prototype 1, I still need to play with it more and make several changes and adjustments to the design. Basically I wanted a small wood gas stove that would nest into my BPL Trapper mug for storage in my pack. I carry a very tiny pack, so carrying a stove that wouldn't fit into my cook pot could hamper how much I can carry for my longer trips. I researched several threads here and elsewhere and came up with this design for now. I need to adjust a few things and tinker a lot more. The gritty details can be found on my blog.

Jared's Adventure Blog

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Trying to boil some water.
    Photobucket

Nested in a BPL Trapper mug.
    Photobucket

Disassembled
    Photobucket

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Nice job? What's it weigh?

Jared Cook

@rooinater

oh, yeah I forgot to mention that in the actual post, it was in the blog. It weighs 2.5oz without the pot support or windscreen. There's still going to be a few minor changes as I play around with the stove next week to work some bugs out.

I need to run to the hardware store and pick up a few items like wire mesh for a pot support and a better grate on the bottom of the burn box. I'll also be getting a small hose for blowing air in the burn box when it starts to smolder and I'm going to play around with the holes on the outer can to see if it helps with the way the stove burns. I also need to play with and find out a good way to keep the fire burning hot and consistent, wood stoves and small fires are a new thing for me. $1 cans make it really cheap to play with the design… Presently I'm $2 into this project + my time, which really doesn't count when tinkering.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Keep up the good work. I am very interested in this project. I dont have enough time to do the other make your own gear projects on my list, let alone tackle this right now. I love my trapper but I am bummed at how heavy the case is on my caldera. I need to figure out a different way to carry the system. I use the esbit and I love the setup. The wood system would add another great fuel option for the mug that I love.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Yeah, I mainly use a bpl esbit wing stove and a .005 Ti windscreen at the moment. So the wood burner would be heavier on trips shorter than a 3 day trip if I cooked in the morning and evening and shorter than 5 day trips that I only cooked at night. Economically though it would reduce one more thing that I'd have to constantly purchase, especially with how much backpacking I've been doing this last summer. I also only have a 7lb base weight for summer and a 8lb for 3 season, so I can spare an ounce or 2 to save some cash in the long run if I decide I like cooking on a wood stove. Saving cash is the other reason I've been making my own gear though…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools