Topic

Tobacco on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Tobacco on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Because nothing says healthy living like snorting snuff or smoking tobacco…..
    I’m not knocking you…but I rarely run into smokers anymore in the backcountry-most quit so they could have healthier lives and lungs. I know I did years ago!
    Snuff and any smokeless tobaco is very dangerous to mess with. More addicting and yum, cancers of the nose?

Curtis Presson

@obdewla_x

To each his own! I don’t smoke cigarettes anymore but I generally take a few good quality cigars with me when I hit the trail. If the weather is nice and once I get dinner out of the way after a day of hiking, I like to relax with a cigar and listen to all the sounds of the woods. VERY relaxing and a great way to finish off the day.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

that is why I just bring a nice pint of Single Malt Highland Whiskey. I too enjoy listening to sounds and a few swigs of top notch whiskey does it for me.

Curtis Presson

@obdewla_x

Now that’s a great idea! I have never brought alkehol with me in the backcountry. Perhaps next trip I’ll pack in some Lagavulin to go along with my Don Carlos cigars!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

there ya go Curt. And good choice too!

JUSTIN KEITH

@jutt77

Arthur – Give nicotine gum a shot. I used to smoke, quit about 7 months ago, but I really enjoy a piece of this gum at camp after a long hike. Plus its loads healthier than snuff or dip.

joseph daluz

@jfdiberian

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and your feet will be colder at night. Also, coupled with the limited activity in a tent/sleepingbag, you’re more likely to get blood clots if you smoke. It also dulls you sense of smell considerably.
    Joe, RN

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools