Topic

Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Wood Badge & GoLite Pinnacle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Just had to say I really like my GoLite Pinnacle. I decided on it just for Scout outings like this. For our upcoming "backpacking" segment of Wood Badge training, I decided to pack all the food for our patrol since I had bought it and packaged it. 26 pounds of food & packaging for 53 meals. Not exactly the lightest (though at the bottom of the recommended 24-32 oz per person per day) but there is a "prize" for lowest cost (spent $47.42 – <$1/meal) so I got larger cans of tuna and chicken rather than pouches and others wanted fresh apples since we're only going a mile at most.
    Anyway, I got all the food, a 3.5 qt pot w/ stove and 8 oz fuel canister, and my binder inside along with all my other normal gear (< 18 lbs) except a couple clothing items (have to wear full Scout uniform), my solo cook kit, and my tent. 47 lbs total and packed to the rim (you can see my red jacket at the top).

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

47 lbs in a frameless pack made for 25 or so? That's really pushing the limits. Sounds painful to me.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

They claim a max of 40. At this point I regularly carry 30 with no issues at all. Since it's only a mile, I don't care if it is painful though it didn't seem like it would be when I tried it on. It just seemed simpler to me since I could (barely) fit it all in my pack than try to separate everything out once we all get to the training site. Need to leave right now in fact.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I cut a piece of Coroplast to help mine with weight transfer (funny, buy a frameless pack and try to make a frame for it), but I don't think it would help @ 47#. Bet it feels great when you hike out.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

> I cut a piece of Coroplast to help mine with weight transfer

Actually I did the same. The foam pad has always tended to fold a bit right above the belt attachment point because that gets pulled in while the lower side compression strap tends to pull the back out. It's never bothered me, just reach back smooth it up a bit and I'm good to go til the next time I put it on. With the plastic piece I added, it doesn't have that issue even with 47 lbs.

Can't see why I'd ever carry that much again, but I know if I really wanted to I could go unsupplied for nearly 3 weeks. Don't believe the wife would ever let me go on such a long trek anyway. ;)

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Since Photobucket if forcing me to close my account, I’m re-uploading the pic from my OP here.

GoLite Pinnacle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools