Topic

Northwest Gear List from a rookie!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Northwest Gear List from a rookie!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Wilson
    Spectator

@kinkbmxco

So I am new to Backpacking, but luckily discovered these forums before I threw down a bunch of money on gear… so here is what I have got so far

Pack/Shelter/Sleeping
    Gregory Jade 50 – 50 oz
    Tarptent Double Rainbow -42 oz
    Western Mountaineering Ultralite – 29 oz
    POE thermo 6 – 21 oz
    Total – 142 oz or 8 lbs 9 oz

Kitchen
    Snowpeak GigaStove – 3.75 oz
    Snowpeak TI single wall 600 – 2.8 oz
    Optimus Spork – .6 oz
    GSI insulated mug – 3.2 oz
    Mini Bic Lighter – 0.4 oz
    Total – 10.75 OZ or .7 lbs

Emergency/Misc
    Katydyn Hiker pro filter- 13oz
    Adventure Medical Kit (plus some extras) – 9 oz
    Spyderco Delica knife – 2.5 oz
    Princeton TEC headlamp – 3.7 oz
    Suunto Compass – .95 oz
    MSR packtowel – .7
    Total 29.85 oz or 1 lbs 8.6 oz

Toiletries
    Tooth Brush – 1 oz
    Tooth Paste – 0.8 oz
    Toilet Paper – 2 oz
    Total 3.8 oz or .23 lbs

Clothing
    Packed
    Marmot Scree pants – 16 oz
    Patagonia Capilene 2 – 6 oz
    Smart Wool Socks – 1.2 oz
    Boxer briefs – around 2 oz
    Montbell Alpinelight parka – 14.2 oz
    Patagonia R1 zip up – 12.1 oz
    Golite phantasm – 10 oz
    Total – 61.5 oz (OUCH!) or 3 lbs 8.4 oz

TOTAL packed weight- 244 oz or 15.25 lbs

Worn (usually start out wearing this)
    Vans Boardshorts – probably around 8 oz
    Boxer briefs – around 2 oz
    Smart Wool Socks – 1.2 oz
    50% Poly 50% cotton shirt – 4 oz
    New Era Hat – HEAVY (its okay it stays on my head)

Notes: This is my general gear, if it were the middle of summer I probably wouldn't take my alpine light, and maybe not even my R1. On my last trip in the Central Cascades I used them both at camp and I was warm, not hot…

I know my first aid kit needs a lot of work, but I just don't know what to take out… I already did remove some things. Right now it has my TP, some ibuprofen, benydryl, after bite and after cut pads, extra guyline, extra bic mini, moleskin, bandages, medical tape, duct tape, safety pin, tweezers and an ace bandage.

I am using my girlfriends Gregory Jade 50 right now as I have grown quite disappointed with my Osprey Atmos 50. I plan on ordering an ULA Circuit come December.
    I have been looking at the Tarptent Moment even though from a financial standpoint I shouldn't be. I purchased the Double Rainbow because I wanted to use it with my girlfriend, between work and school she doesn't really have time to go with me. So I go with a friend who uses his 1 person tent and I just take along my Double Rainbow. The extra room is nice, but a 1 person tent would be more suitable…

Any criticisms or advice?
    cheers
    Chris

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

First Aid Kit – Click on this link to the suggested gear list for BPL's Wilderness Trekking 1 course. partway down is a picture of a First Aid kit. I carry a few more band-aids, etc myself, and mine weighs 3 oz.

I know mini-bics don't weight much, but you could just bring a couple storm matches as a back-up.

ULA Circuit – with your current gearlist, you will almost certainly find the Circuit to be WAY too much pack. An Ohm or something similar sized would suit you better.

Clothes – I own and have used both the R1 + MB Alpine Light. Both of them on any trip that stays above 25 degrees seems overkill to me, but personal warmth is subjective. I'd just bring the Alpine light.

What are the Marmot pants for? I see a rain jacket but no pants. Rain pants can double as camp pants for warmth, and you can get Golite Reed's for 5-6oz or so.

Otherwise, bring a midweight merino long johns for 5-6oz.

Why a pot and a mug?

Water filter – A lot of people here use chemical treatments. I have a psychological need to filter my water, and I started out with the Hiker Pro. I believe the water in the Cascades is nice and clear like it is in the Sierra, so you could probably use a version of what I use – a 2oz Aqua Mira Frontier Pro ($20) for the protozoa (giardi) and a couple drops of bleach in a mini-dropper (.25oz) for the bacteria and virus' (e coli and the like).

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Not a NW pack, but you can check out my list and maybe get some ideas.

You are about where I am right now. I am reworking my old gear setup to an UL and SUL setup later.

Check out the normal winter gear list column (where I am now) compared to the SUL winter column. These are 0dF – 15dF setups.

Basically a lot of what is one your list could be lighter at some expense, with a few large items, best bang for the back.

Right off the bat, new pack, sell the tent and get a gatewood cape, bug tent or bivy and ditch the rain gear.

That would probably save you several + pounds.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArT1lVGeXD9EdFJSSFRfSzdyamxLenZ1Y1hkSEhaMUE&hl=en

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

won't go into the big four as it sounds like you've got some ideas already-clearly some weight to be shaved there

in you kitchen you need to add the weight of the fuel canister- it's not consumable (just dead weight)- the small ones weigh ~ 3.2 oz

you could probably lose the mug

I use tablets for my purification (I used to pack a filter)- looking at under a oz vs 13

you can get a first aid kit down to 3 oz pretty easy- this isn't including some of the extras you have noted- just talking first aid kit

I've carried all kinds of knives and have finally settled on the 0.7 swiss army classic- the blade is sufficient (including cleaning fish)- the scissors I use much more- it also includes tweezers

petzel makes a e-lite_ headlamp that weighs 0.9 oz w/ batteries- more than sufficient for most backpacking

for an insulating layer the Montbell should be more than sufficient

if it's warmer maybe the R1 and a down vest (4 -6 oz vs 14 oz)

I'd think about substituting the scree pants for wind pants w/ DWR- something like Montbell stretch wind pants ~ 5-6 oz

not a weight savings deal, but cotton isn't the best base layer even if it's 50:50 a capilene 1 short sleeve or a merino short sleeve would perform better

forgive me if I missed it, but- no bear bag, sunscreen, bug dope, watch, sunglasses?

what are you carrying your water in?

Chris Wilson
    Spectator

@kinkbmxco

Thanks for everyone's comments.
    I cut my First Aid kit down quite a bit, I don't have a scale but I probably cut the weight at least in half so I am probably somewhere around 3 – 4 oz.

I have been torn about which backpack to get for a couple weeks now. I tried out the SMD Starlite and it was WAY to big. I figured the Circuit would probably be fine although I wouldn't be utilizing the extension collar much but it would provide flexibility for longer trips. (Hoping to do the wonderland trail next summer) I have been also looking at the ohm, and the GG gorilla and mariposa.

The main reason I carry the mug is because I like to eat my oatmeal out of it. Last time I was cooking oatmeal in my TI cup I ended up burning it, and it was a pain to clean up. Hah. Ill admit I was being careless and wasn't paying enough attention, and I think about ditching the mug every now and then, but I have found it pretty convenient.

I kind of purchased the Scree pants on a whim because I was going on a trip and didn't have any pants besides jeans. When it's raining I just wear by boardshorts and change into pants later on at camp. So that is why I don't have any rain pants. (The shorts dry real quick)

I have a pair of Capilene 2 pants which I could pair up with some rain pants, but the weight would end up being about equal in the end wouldn't it

Most of the water I come across is pretty clean so the drops/tablets are definitely a viable option. I haven't really looked into drops/tablets much as I have heard it really taints the taste of the water. I guess ill try for myself and see if it is bare able… Furthermore, it seems like a hassle to fill up then wait for 30 minutes before you can drink the water.

I have been meaning to upgrade from my favorite American Apparel T-Shirt that I have had for years. Just haven't gotten around to it!

I forgot to add my Backpack Raincover… Don't know its weight, I just made it out of 1.1 silnylon… It's fairly light. I also use this to hang my food.

Not carrying bug spray, sunscreen (although I should), don't wear sunglasses or a watch.
    I have been thinking of getting a Brunton ADC Pro, just because I am a dork and would like to know all that information.

I am using a 1.8L platypus with the hydration hose…

I think now that I have upgraded my sleeping bag I will feel more comfortable leaving my R1 at home.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

capilene bottoms are ~ 5-6 oz, wind pants ~ 5-6 oz- still saving weight and more importantly opens up lots more options

it's cold and windy and your in your shorts- add wind pants

it's cold and drizzly and your in your shorts- add wind pants

it's even colder and windier- add the cap bottoms and the wind pants

add cap bottoms lounging around camp or as part of your sleep system

lots more flexibility AND your still shedding weight = win:win :)

I currently have a Osprey Exos 46- great pack w/ no complaints, but am also considering a OHM simply to shave some weight

you definitely have a great bag!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

As far as cups…

At the grocery there are several, hormel chili, Select harvest soup, etc that come in a microwavable plastic cup with foam insul on it. They hold about 1.5 cups and weigh 1oz. Use a can opener and side cut the metal ring off.

Easy macs come in a similar container, thinner faom, but still enough – .6 oz

Oatmeal express come in a very thin plastic cup, paper on the outside, but if you have wool gloves that will work, but it can handle boiling water – .4 oz

What I do for oatmeal is put my instant food in a freezer bag, pour in the boiling h20. It goes into a cozy. Works for tortellinis too. One cup of dried tortelini, a cup or little less of boiling h20, 10-15 minutes.

When its ready I set the bag into one of the above bowls and eat it that way.

The cups are good for coffee too. The select harvest bowls dont really stack. The others do. IE you can stack a .4 oz oatmeal cup into a mac cup, 2 cups for about 1 oz.

The maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal is good.

I think I am going to end up with the mariposa plus. Cant go wrong with that much room at 24 oz for a large.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Chris, here is my take on your list- take no offence

Pack/Shelter/Sleeping
    Gregory Jade 50 – 50 oz =there are many, some inexpensive options to get this under 32 oz. keep looking at gear swap
    Tarptent Double Rainbow -42 oz =a Gatewood cape would be great 11 oz- and you could loose a coat also, keep the rainbow you will use it when your friend schedule settles down (or you get a new friend)
    Western Mountaineering Ultralite – 29 oz = super bag!
    POE thermo 6 – 21 oz =personal choice
    Total – 142 oz or 8 lbs 9 oz

Kitchen
    Snowpeak GigaStove – 3.75 oz =works, maybe switch to alcohol in the summer
    Snowpeak TI single wall 600 – 2.8 oz
    Optimus Spork – .6 oz
    GSI insulated mug – 3.2 oz =no need, see others ideas
    Mini Bic Lighter – 0.4 oz
    Total – 10.75 OZ or .7 lbs

Emergency/Misc
    Katydyn Hiker pro filter- 13oz =I like aquamira drops, they have no taste and its all you need in the northwest
    Adventure Medical Kit (plus some extras) – 9 oz =Wow, are you planning for a major medical emergency- see what the other posts recommend and then follow it.
    Spyderco Delica knife – 2.5 oz =way to heavy, should be under 1 oz.
    Princeton TEC headlamp – 3.7 oz =try a single led light, unless you are hiking at night, they give plenty of light and REI had one on sale last week for $3.93
    Suunto Compass – .95 oz =great
    MSR packtowel – .7 =loose this for a bandana, it has many more uses- it can be your large bandage for the first aid kit
    Total 29.85 oz or 1 lbs 8.6 oz

Toiletries
    Tooth Brush – 1 oz =shave a little here
    Tooth Paste – 0.8 oz =try baking soda
    Toilet Paper – 2 oz =how long are you planning on being out- you could go without, use what is out there.
    Total 3.8 oz or .23 lbs

Clothing
    Packed
    Marmot Scree pants – 16 oz =these are way to heavy, go to goodwill and look for some nylon hiking pants (about 9-10 oz)
    Patagonia Capilene 2 – 6 oz =good
    Smart Wool Socks – 1.2 oz =Ok
    Boxer briefs – around 2 oz =personal choice
    Montbell Alpinelight parka – 14.2 oz =hot and heavy for summer but good in shoulder seasons and winter, but I would also use it if I had it.
    Patagonia R1 zip up – 12.1 oz =redundant with the MB parka
    Golite phantasm – 10 oz =Gatewood cape above
    Total – 61.5 oz (OUCH!) or 3 lbs 8.4 oz

TOTAL packed weight- 244 oz or 15.25 lbs

Worn (usually start out wearing this)
    Vans Boardshorts – probably around 8 oz =heavy for shorts
    Boxer briefs – around 2 oz =personal choice
    Smart Wool Socks – 1.2 oz =good
    50% Poly 50% cotton shirt – 4 oz =in the Northwest you should never ever wear anything with cotton in it- get a 100% poly or the like shirt (goodwill again)
    New Era Hat – HEAVY (its okay it stays on my head) =there are plenty of UL hats that stay on your head, find one.

I hope this helps, don't take anything personal.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

Ok, my question is where do you want to be? Do you want to be at a UL weight? Do you just want to lighten up and stay in the Lightweight category? Neither answer is wrong, it's a personal preference and would help guide me on helping you cut stuff out.

First and foremost after every trip sort every thing into 3 piles. Didn't use, barely used, and used consistently. These piles will guide you to slowly cutting the small excess. If it's not safety equipment/first aid and it made it in the didn't use it pile, toss it out of your pack and delete it from your list. In the barely used column see if you can shrink the packaging to lighten the gear up, or evaluate whether it was really needed and toss it. Start keeping a record of how many layers you really use at what temps, that really helped thin out my layers. Excel is your best friend with gear lists and keeping track of weights.

But looking at your list, another rule of thumb I use is that my stove needs to be lighter than the cook pot. If you are only using a 600ml mug do you really need the canister stove? The empty canister alone is upwards of 3oz. You should look into a BPL or Tibetan Titanium Esbit wing stove (~.5 oz) or an alcohol stove for 3 season use. An esbit tablet weighs .5oz in packaging and one tablet in a wing stove with a .005 Ti windscreen will boil 2 cups of water for dinner with 3/4 of a tablet. The last 1/4 of a tab could be used for warming water for coffee or tea in the morning and that alone would save an a lot of weight, especially on longer trips.

Cut the 2nd mug, there's no sense in carrying 2 mugs. Just use the Snowpeak for your cookpot and also use it for you morning coffee or afternoon tea. If you actually are trying to cook in a 600ml mug look into freezer bag cooking.

You can cut your filter weight in half or more by getting an aquamira frontier pro filter and making a gravity filter with it, and coupling it with Micropur tablets. Personally I just use Micropur by itself, .25 oz for 10L purified.

Why do you have 2 shells? or am I reading that wrong. Remove all redundancy, Why carry extra pants? Just carry the clothes you are wearing, an extra pair of socks, boxers and actual insulation layers…

I'd look into a smaller pack than the catalyst, say an ohm or a catalyst if you are going with ULA, also check out moutain laurel design's packs as well if you start looking at frameless UL packs.

Also look at lighter shelters like the moment, or a tarp and bug bivy.

As for the sleeping pad, if you need a big thick and comfy one, look into the Neoair small mattresses. They are very comfortable and only about 9 oz.

Your Big 3 (shelter system, sleep system and pack) could be greatly reduced in weight…

Start with the cheap stuff like removing redundancy, than hash away at your big 3, there is pounds of savings to be had there alone.

Gear list ideas, you can comb over my gear lists if it will help you. I live in Washington so I'm used to the cold and wet.

a Couple Gear lists

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

Locale: Korea

I would switch out the cap 2 for the merino 2, it has much better resistance to stink. Also, at 4.9 ounces, its light as well

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools