Topic

Turbo Bear Bag Hanging

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Turbo Bear Bag Hanging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ken
    BPL Member

@scienceken

Locale: Western Oregon

Thanks for the write up! Looking forward to trying this and the previous write up on this site for the PCT method.

Especially appreciate the video.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

With the PCT method you can't pull the food as high (you're limited to half of your hang height plus your height) and can't pull it away from the tree to make it more confusing. I've never had a bear find the tie off rope except by accident and in that one case she bumped into it and walked toward the food. Having it hit the tie off tree at 5-6 feet prevents these accidental encounters.

Additionally the PCT method is more "fussy" (you have to hold the food while you tie in the string).

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Another method to get your line up into the trees is to use a sling-shot to launch a small line with a weight on the end over the selected branch. Then tie your larger line used for hanging your bear bag onto the end of the lighter line and hoist it up.

To make your sling shot, use the method used to make guy-line tensioners, but do not have the line connected in the middle of the rubber tubing. The tubing will then stretch out to become the sling-shot power cord. Attach one end to the top of an Easton tent peg, the other to webbing to hold the shot

Here are photos of the sling-shot:

http://community.webshots.com/album/574683122TVwmEV

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

That's pretty slick–and for self defense too! I like how it breaks down into innocent pieces.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes- good points Kevin. It is tough to get that stick tied in place with the PCT method. Your approach is easier on that end for sure.

Hmm…you've got me thinking…

Thanks!

Doug

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Kevin,

I really enjoyed the article and the video! I found them to be very helpful.

Thank you for your thoroughness. :)

Kendall

Denis Grabill
    Spectator

@gonzo

Locale: west central ohio

i've found that i am able to roll my 100' of parachute cord up into a ball (sort of like a ball of twine) and i can unwrap a length of cord and toss the remaining ball up over my chosen branch…. if i miss, i just roll the cord back up into a ball and try again…. never failed to get it hung yet in over 30 years of backpacking (better still….yogi's never gotten to my food bag!!)

Derek Ruhland
    BPL Member

@derekruhland

Locale: Southern California

Kevin,

Awesome article. Very well written and easy to understand. I know I am a bit late to the party on this thread, but I was wondering if you have a specific recommendation for the type of rope. None of the options on this site are 3mm or over, and all are higher than 300lb test. I looked into parachord, because the sheath is tightly woven, but again the test is higher than is probably realistic to break with body weight (about 450lb for the weakest one). Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

3mm cord is about right, parachute cord also works. While the test is ~300# I've relied on being able to break the rope by leaving the inevitable nicks that develop near the end due to the rock landing on it when throwing the rope. The spectra cord is never going to break. Fortunately I haven't had to break a rope for several years now.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools