Topic

Tents for Tall People

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tents for Tall People

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Dang, I only saw the second page of this thread before replying. Didn't realize I missed a page. Sorry for the redundancy.

Edit:

After reading the first page fully, I realize I wasn't being too redundant *smack forehead*.

Anyway, we fit 2 6'5", 225lb rowers pretty comfortably in the Quarter Dome T2+.

Will Inman
    BPL Member

@empacitator

Locale: Western Australia
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Tim F
    BPL Member

@kneebyter

Locale: the depths of Hiking Hell (Iowa)

I'm 6'3" and 230# and love the room in my Tarptent Rainbow. I tried several other 1-man tents first, including the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 and SMD Lunar Solo. Unlike those tents, the end walls are almost vertical on the Rainbow making all the length usable. In addition, it is very wide and I can sit up without coming close to touching the ceiling. It is only 36oz with a light light groundcloth and stakes. I wish I had tried it first!

Benjamin Auer

@mankind117

I too am 6'7". I purchased a Sierra Design Vapor light 2 xl (the xl stands for extra long) that the op mentioned for less than 200$. It is heavy for the BLP crowd at 4lbs (I don't think this is an outrageous weight for a shelter I and all my gear will actually fit in). It is also 93 inches long and is plenty long enough for someone with my giant frame.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I just bought a Lightheart Gear Solong6. It is plenty long for me with a ton of room to spare. It is 100" in length, with boxed ends so there is more useable space. Even on top of a 2 1/2" pad and a small pillow under my head there is a lot of space left. In a pinch I could fit a smaller person inside with me. It is 55" wide in the center tapering to 30" on the ends. It is basically a double wall tent, with just a small section of single wall silnylon in the center. After seam sealing the tent it still weighs 27oz on my scale, including the guy lines, but not the stakes. You have to use hiking poles to set it up, or you can use lightweight aluminum or carbon fiber poles.

http://www.Lightheartgear.com

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Judy just brought over a SoLong 6 that she was making some customizations on, for me to check out. Amazingly, it's even roomier than the Solo, without sacrificing the advantages of the solo.

I could stretch toes out, hands extended over my head, flailing around. If you don't fit in one of these, you're probably already used to getting EVERYTHING you own custom made!

I'm not super tall, but it seems like it would be the go-to option for anybody that is, or anybody my size that wants even more usable real-estate than the Solo, with a minor weight penalty. SoLong + Wedge == Winner.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Actually the Solong6 is an oz less than the Solo after I switched out the guy lines with Dyneema and mini locs.

Grant Johnson

@gaj701

Sorry to necro this thread, but I need a backpacking tent for a true 7 footer (84" / 213cm). Ideally, a two person tent with with bug protection.

I think I've purchased and returned every model REI sells (it seems to be the only way to determine a tent's real length). Unfortunately, it's tough to do this with boutique brands. So, particularly directed at the taller tent owners in this thread, does anyone have any suggestions?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Maybe the Haven nettent + tarp from Six Moon Designs? The inner net lists at 90" but it does have raised corners and an offset peak that might work for a 7' person.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

If you can find a Mega Sola, it seems as though it would fit your criteria.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Grant,

Look at the Zolo line from Sierra Designs. Both the 1 (which appears to be discontinued and on closeout) and the 2 have 96" length. Since they are dome style tents, most of that space is usable. They aren't the lightest things around, but you can get them for less than $200.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I had a look at the Zolo specs.
    SD Zolo
    The max height is 40". That on top of a mat is not much for a 6' tall person.
    The end walls are at an aprox 45 degree slope, so I would estimate that out of the 96" only about 80" are usable on a mat…
    (I could be wrong…)
    I set up the TT SS2 ,out of curiosity.
    Sleeping side ways could be doable but even with the 50" max height (only two spots at that height…) a 7' person would still need to bend.
    Franco

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

At that height/length its going to be tricky. Wonder if some of the pyramids might work?

They'll at least have head room! Whether they're set up to have enough room to get an extra, extra long sleeping bag in I dunno.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

the trailstar from mld will be long enough for you, you just need a long bivy or groundsheet.

eric lansford
    BPL Member

@papasherpa

Locale: PNW

+1 for the LightHeart SoLong 6. I own the tent and love it. If you decide to go that route, look at adding a Wedge or Fly (I have the Wedge) as it is great for a little extra room and still coming in at about 2 lbs.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i have an older north face canyonlands, and at a bit over 6', i have a ton of headroom in that tent. its a little small to sit up in for me, but so are most lighter tents.

yes, its not SUL, but its a full mesh tent with a bomber rainfly, with plenty of room for your gear inside the tent, and its pretty light if you just do the tent, fly, pole, and some lighter stakes, or you can set it without the tent body if you find yourself a footprint.

Grant Johnson

@gaj701

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I've sent emails out to Six Moons, Integral Designs, and LightHeart. If anyone else is lurking, I'll report back what they say.

Martin, I've tried the Nemo Pentalite pyramid with the Wedge floor. It worked if I could take the 'middle half,' but the middle pole and wife made that awkward. It also seemed a bit heavy as a 2 person tent, as opposed to its spec 4.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Thanks for keeping this going: I need it, too.

Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

I didn't see anyone mention the GoLite Shagri-la 2. We have one (flysheet and Bathtub floor) and it is crazy long. I just Googled the dimensions of the floor and it looks like it is 9'4" according to the link below. Goliath might have trouble fitting but just about everyone else should fit!

We've only used it on a few trips in good weather, but we are thrilled with its space/weight ratio and quality.

Bug protection would require the nest. I don't own the nest, but I would expect that its dimensions are similar to the floor, but maybe slightly smaller.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27837

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Rainbow will fit someone 6'7".

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

The "wedge" on the LightHearts, is that just a peaked portion on an awning fly? The tents look really good, but the website isn't designed for the (slow) enquiring mind.

Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

MSR HOOP

I was killing time in an outdoor store in a distant town today while my gal was at a doctor's appointment.

While digging around their large collection of tents which weren't setup, I found one that I wasn't familiar with. It felt to be on the lighter side so I wrote it down and looked it up.

Just at or under 5 pounds depending on how you carry it.
    Current Model
    Free Standing
    Double Wall
    Two Doors
    Two Vestibules
    44 Inches High Inside (dome)
    52 Inches Wide…continuous & vertical walls
    *96 Inches Long…yeah, 96 Inches Long*
    Nice "Blend In" Green Fly – Fully Taped

MSR Hoop

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hoop/product

No, it's not ultra light. That said, it's a lot of 3+ season tent for 5 pounds, which tall backpackers will find some breathing room in.

Here's a review:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/MSR%20Hoop%20tent/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Ron!

I wonder how long the MSR Nook is? That one is just over 3 lbs…..

Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

Right David. Same review I linked to at the bottom of my post. :)

I'll add:
    The MSR Hoop looks like it could be lightened up pretty easily. In example, it can go without the two small poles that makes it more free standing. Then there's those stuff sacks, etc.
    I like that it allows you to switch which wing of each vestibule is "in the wind", meaning you could catch a breeze regardless of where it's blowing from.

96"x52"x44"

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools