Topic

Weminuche – Conditions in early October

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Weminuche – Conditions in early October

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Todd Forbes

@tf

Hello everybody! I hope this is the correct forum for this post – can anybody tell me if the high alpine lakes in the Weminuche Wilderness Area will be frozen over in early October? I am planning a trip from the Wolf Creek Pass Trailhead to Archuleta Lake area and any information on what to expect this time of the year would be appreciated. I have hiked the area in mid-September and it was getting down to the mid 20's, just don't know exactly what to expect in October 5th – 9th timeframe.

Thanks!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd expect snow at any time.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

As big as it is I doubt it will have frozen over by then.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

I doubt they would be frozen yet but you can expect some crazy weather coming your way, snow for sure and low temps.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I've been through there the last week of Sept and no snow or frozen lakes, but plenty of cold (nights in teens). Friends of mine were 2 weeks behind me and had snow, but no frozen lakes. Water bottles froze for them, and they can start freezing in CO high country in September.

I dare you to swim in the lakes on your trip. Triple dog dare.

Todd Forbes

@tf

Tripple Dog Dare! Hell I guess I have to do it now & post a photo for prof! Hey if I do it naked I might make next years Warmlite catalog, although with the serious shrinkage water that cold causes……..

Thanks for the info guys, the fishing up there is really great and I would hate to hump all that fishing gear above timber to find out the lake is frozen, as happened to us a few years back in Rocky Mountain National Park on a Halloween trip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools