Topic

Vector cereal on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Vector cereal on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Blair Gentes

@blastreach

Has anyone ever brought Kellogs Vector cereal on the trail?

Per 55g serving, it has 215 calories. Granted thats definately not the highest calorie to weight ratio out there, but it's not too bad. This cereal is loaded with vitamins and minerals.
    http://www.kelloggs.ca/cgi-bin/klog-canada/fileBlob.pl?md5=1c03a20e10f89e0078b8b26950c0080d

Next year I plan on thru hiking the PCT. Would this cereal (by itself or mixed with other nuts, etc) be a good idea to take along? Where I live I can get 2kg for about $10, so money isn't the issue. Are there other cereals targeted at athletes I should be looking at?

Thanks,
    Blair

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

Granola?

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"Would this cereal (by itself or mixed with other nuts, etc) be a good idea to take along?"

Since you'll rarely be able to buy this in trail towns, it boils down to how many resupply boxes you want. I went with more last year than I would if I did it again; it can be a PITA to get into a trail town just after the post office closes, and have to wait a full day or even two full days for a box you [had] sent there. So my recommendation would be to find foods that you're happy to eat from large and even middle-sized grocery stores. Of course augment that with things you think you might like in resupply boxes you do send, so long as you don't mind contributing sometimes to hiker boxes.

You can always adjust that process when you get to large towns by putting together boxes for yourself on-the-spot to mail ahead, after you have a better idea of what's working for you.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I use Vector cereal to make these…

http://www.wildernesscooking.com/fork/trail-food.htm

While you can use any cereal you like, I do find that Vector works best. At the time I created the recipe Vector was pretty new to the marketplace.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Like a mosquito carrying malaria??? :)

After doing a little googling on Vector, it looks like they make a sort of trail bar too…

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

The Vector bar isn't a trail bar really… more of a granola bar marketed for the general public. You can get more nutrition, calories and such by incorporating it into your own recipes. Homemade also tastes better. Some of the Vector bars get quite messy in the heat as well as they are coated in chocolate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools