Topic

Bivy/quilt, does this make any sense ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bivy/quilt, does this make any sense ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I am going to rebuild my tyvek bivy with more room so I can get my pad and an over quilt into the bivy.

This would be mostly for tent sleeping.

I originally wanted to build an XP quilt and velcro it to the top side of a tyvek bivy in a few spots, then it would just wrap over my #2 MB bag.

Then I started thinking, why not just build a bivy with the insul attached, IE WP breathable material outside, insulation then an inner of .5 oz silk or something like that.

Have a detacable hood via velcro or a zip that you could flip from one side to the other.

IE you could use it alone with no bag as a quilt on top, flip it and have the insul underneath for really hot nights.

You could also do the same with the bag inside, IE if you need extra warmth, insul on top, just need the water protection, insul on bottom.

I think I might have to try this one out.

The only downdside I can see is the entry opening being on the opposite side of the sleeping bag with one setup.

It would not save much weight, but it seems like it would be more convenient and one less thing to carry.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Bill Fornshell made such a bivy in the MYOG section.

He used different materials, though.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Interesting. I will have to check it out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools