Topic

talk (brag) about your setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) talk (brag) about your setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hunter nelson

@hunt4car

Don't you just love to look at a thread that some one has posted a pic with there gear all set up?

Post a pic of your setup (brag about your gear gear) and point out whats so nice about your setup.

I will get up a pic myself soon

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Actually I think its interesting. I have been mostly out of the loop of hardcore hiking for years, so for me it helps catch up. I pick up some ideas for sure.

I am not as interested in someone that has 3G worth of equipment that weighs 4# as I am in someone who put together a complete setup for $300 that weighs 8#.

I find all the inovators and MYOG people the most interesting. Two lately were the cuben Teepee and the cuben down bags Tim made.

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

I like to see what innovations people have came up with like wrapping stuff up in socks so it dosent klink around or making flipflops out of foam pad parts.
    p.s. i came up with a 3-4 lb setup that covers the''big 3" and a foam pad( its good to 40*) i will post it later and i think you will get a kick out of it (its unique for sure.

Lets get some pics up on this post!

Emmett Lyman
    BPL Member

@ejl10

Locale: Northeast US

I came up with a pretty cool way to attach my Montbell UL umbrella to my pack this summer for hands-free use. I use two Camelbak Tube Traps attached in opposite directions to the webbing on one of my shoulder pads. To my surprise, Montbell's shaft clipped right into these Traps, almost like it was meant to be there. At first glance the system seems unstable, but it held up remarkably well to heavy rain and wind, and to lots of brush overhanging the trail during my Long Trail thru hike.

By switching the direction that each Tube Trap was facing, I could cause the umbrella to "lean" toward my left or right, which allowed me to protect my pack very well. I was also able to adjust the umbrella up or down to provide less or more protection depending on the ferocity of the storm. All in all, I was much less wet than my hiking partners, and I always had both hands free to use my poles. I also got lots of compliments from folks who saw the umbrella in action… I suspect it's a great way to meet members of the opposite sex!

The system

A closer view

An even closer view

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Emmett – you made my day! I too have the MontBell UL umbrella and have struggled with what to do with it while hiking. The one time I used it I carried my poles in one hand and the umbrella in the other while it rained. Happily the rain didn't last very long, but I was getting ready to try stuffing the handle between my back and the pack to see what I could do.

I believe I even have a couple of Camelbak clips in my gear box…I'm anxious to try it.

Thanks for posting the idea and, especially, the photos.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I have the same problem with a Golite umbrella. I stuff it down the sternum strap, resting on the top of my pack, but it falls off easily.

Anyone have suggestions for mounting the Golite umbrella (usually to a Golite Trek or Speed)? Will the same or similar technique work?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Here is a picture hot from the field. This was yesterday morning near Mount Rogers at the top of Pine Mountain (elev 5000) just off the AT.

Setup Pic

The details…

Tarp is a MLD Cuben Grace Solo
    Bivy is a MLD Bug Bivy
    Pack is a MLD 2009 Prophet
    Sleeping Bag is a Nunatak Custom Ghost
    Poles are Ti Goat AGP's (holding up rear of tarp)
    Cook System is a Caldera Cone with 550 Ti Pot

This was the first time trying out the bug bivy and the Ghost.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jamie,

Awesome photo!

I want to walk right into that campsite, cook dinner, watch the sunset, crawl under the quilt……….Wait, uhh, not WITH you, I mean……you're cool and everything…..but……

Ahem! Great photo. I gotta get out and hike.

Abbey Bean

@abbeybean

Locale: Northeast

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I used the umbrella attachment idea for 955 miles of the AT this past summer.

I have a Birdie Pal Swinglite. The shaft must have a larger diameter than the Montbell, because the camelbak clips didn't hold it (it kept popping out). I used them as a stabilizer and tried three other ways to strengthen the attachment. I tried strips of velcro, little bungee cords, and finally, the thing that worked the best, which was little hair ties that I got at the Dollar General enroute.

The hair ties were the covered elastic kind that have a little plastic bobble on each end (like little hearts). :>)
    I fastened them around the pack strap and the umbrella above and below the tube traps.

With two of those and the tube traps, it worked great. I could shift it from side to side a little as mentioned in the previous post.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools