Topic

SUH Backpacking…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SUH Backpacking…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

That's right, Super Ultra Heavy backpacking! How heavy is SUH? Well, an 80 lb pack qualifies I think. Here's an engaging in-depth primer on the subject in eight parts:

Backpacking System Extended Stay by Nutnfancy

Now don't get me wrong, I like Nutnfancy, I think he's probably a decent guy and I really like his knife reviews. I just thought some of you might enjoy watching his backpacking series as his approach is the polar opposite of the ideas we generally embrace here.

G

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

I am amazed. Scared even. HYOH…slowly and painfully.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

LOL!!!!LOL!!!!SPOOF!!!!!Which BPL member is trying to fool us? Nice production….. This can't be real? No way Jose….

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

I think the knives he carries are probably heavier than my my baseweight. Surely he doesn't carry ALL of that?

And oh, for all his talk of capabilities … I can stay warm and dry, well-fed and hydrated, with 6-8 lbs of gear. I can also cover 25+ miles a day if need be. I can reach places he never will with that kind of pack. I like my capabilities better.

A D

@wentworth

Yes, he's carrying a huge load, but as he says in the video, that's the way he likes to do it. He respects other people who hike differently.

He doesn't say "Hike my way or you're doing it wrong".

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Do I respect his CHOICE to carry that load? – yes.

Will I ever understand why he feels he needs 6 knives? – oh heck no

I do think the video can be misleading – in reality this is all of his gear and not a single trip gear list.

It's still alot of heavy stuff, and I am still afraid ;)

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

He says in his 1st introductory segment that his time tested system is not for a thru hike. It's to hike in 8-15 miles and camp out for a while, staying in the same spot. It's a "smell the same roses til they die" style rather than "smell new roses every hour of every day".

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I carry 80-100 pounds on a regular basis AND I still post here :)

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Wow! That's a lot of gear… I do get, though, that he's just going in to set up a base camp and he's not going anywhere else. Even for that purpose it's too much for my taste.

I'm not saying what's right for anyone else! I'm just saying that for me that wouldn't work. I like UL. One of these days I'm going to get around to posting my gear list. :)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Come on Kendall–Time to post the Gear list—Lets check it out—Its all good!!!

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Hahahaha! It's coming, Jay. :)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I look forward to checking it out. That NUTNFANCY gentleman is a little over the top…How many knifes do you really need?

-Jay

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

He kept talking about having a tactical advantage! What is this? Afghanastan!?!?

Not to mention that of his 6 knives a couple of them looked like they could easily serve the same purpose.

SIX KNIVES!!! LOL

René Enguehard
    BPL Member

@ahugenerd

Locale: Newfoundland

To be fair, I doubt he ever packs more than four or five knives for any one trip…

*facepalm*

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I seem to recall Bill Bryson in "A Walk In The Woods" came across a macho military type who was carrying around 120 lbs on the AT. He claimed he was going to make it even though he had to stop and rest every quarter mile or so.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

WOW, man he's gonna put his chiropractors kids thru Harvard! I bet we could put all our packs together and he'd still have ten pounds on us.
    Why do you need more stuff to hold still?

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

If I remember right Backpacker Magazine did an article on this "new wave" of our sport.
    heavy packing

David Ure

@familyguy

I was hiking the West Coast Trail once and came upon a guy with a bag of raw potatoes hanging off the front of his pack. This was the 22KG pack.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Great job, Larry, on "Backpacker Heavy"!

Once I came upon two college kids with enormous packs during a rain shower at a permanent tarp site in the White Mountains. One pulled out a coffee percolator and a stove and proceeded to make two cups of coffee. He next pulled out a big bag of fresh vegetables, said they had too much, and asked us if we wanted a pound or two of broccoli, onions, etc. We'd been out for four nights eating mostly home-dried food and were very happy to oblige. We had a great stew that evening, full of fresh veggies.

So there's something to be said for heavyweight campers, at least the ones who take too much food and are willing to share!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I think nutfancy is taking the shock and awe approach to backpacking. I also like the way he refers to himself in the third person, like a boxer. However, each to his own I say, as long as you get out there who cares how.

On Stewart Island (New Zealand)this year we met a guy (who we called the Axe Man). He had a fully stuffed 70 litre plus sack, a large bag for each hand, and a hatchet on his belt. He told us he was out for three weeks. He seemed to be taking a break every 20 minutes to eat one of his many cans. The thing that amused me was that he was wearing trail runners.

jason grosser

@turbolover

Locale: ventura california

On a 16 mile day hike this weekend I carried my 105 Lb. girlfriend on my shoulder for a while. I ran out of H20 and she wasn't doing so well. Does that qualify me as SUH backpacking ?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

A SUH gentleman backpacker. three cheers for you my good man, hope she's felling better

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools