Topic

Need help with Backpacking Trip Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Need help with Backpacking Trip Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Travis Songer

@tsonger1979

Hello all,
    I am trying to plan an upcoming backpacking trip at the end of May. I was trying to go rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon, but i apparently didn’t get my permit request in on time. I thought I would see if people could help me figure out an alternative place to hike. I’m looking for something in the continental US, thats takes around 5 days (7-15 miles per day), and I would like to hike somewhere with moderate temperatures. I have been considering a trip to the Suguaro National Park or perhaps a southern section of the AT.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

James Hemphill

@jhemp_00

Theres a place here were I live in southern new mexico called the Gila National forest(wich incompass’s the Gila Wilderness and Aldo Leopold Wilderness), 3.5 Million acres of mountains from 4,000 feet to 10,900 feet. Moderate climate, and hardly any users on the trail. I rarley see other people. Check out the website for the Gila. If you have any other questions about the place I know it like the back of my hand (Almost)

Travis Songer

@tsonger1979

That looks like an interesting place. If you where going to take a 5 day trip there what would you do? Would water be a concern?
    Thanks,

Travis

Travis Songer

@tsonger1979

That looks like an interesting place. If you where going to take a 5 day trip there what would you do? Would water be a concern?
    Thanks,

Travis

James Hemphill

@jhemp_00

Hmmm. so many options. I’ll give you three of my favorite.

1. Middle fork of the Gila River, we call the ‘Meadows loop’ Meadows loop is 3-4 days, but You can add some extra miles continuing up the conyon and make the trip as long as you want. This is a AWSOME canyon hike, with lots of easy river crossing and tall canyon walls(hundreds of feet high) and HOT SPRINGS. Very scenic. Water will be no problem along this route. It’s fairly easy hike with only a few climbs.

2. Reeds Peak, via Mimbres River. It’s about a 5 day trip. Two full days to make it to reeds peak and a day to explore around the peak and ridges, and two days back home. This is one of the least traveled areas in the Gila National forest and one of my favorites. You start at lower elevation in mimbres canyon and acsend up to 10,000 plus feet in to sub alpine forests. You will have water all along the Mimbres river (More like a creek) and there are multiple springs at and around reeds Peak.

3.Cat walk redstone park loop. This is a 5 to 6 day lolly pop loop. You stay mainly in White water Canyon for the hike expcept for a climb out of white water and into the south fork of white water, for the route back. Very nace canyon country. Water is not a problem.

There are many more good trips into the higer country. like the Mogollon crest trail, and Black Range Crest trail. But these hikes you have to plan your trip according to were the springs are. There are lots of springs, so it’sot a big deal. But it will be colder up there and probably some snow in certain spots.

Travis Songer

@tsonger1979

That is very helpful, Thanks. I will look into it in some more depth. Thanks for all your help

Anonymous

Have a look at this website:

http://hikearizona.com/location.php

Specifically, look at the drop down menu “Hike Indexes”.

Want Perennial Waterfalls? Peaks? Indian Ruins? etc., etc.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

James,
    I too love the Gila. It has great hot springs. You can take hikes of almost any reasonable duration and any challenge. There are over 70 named backpacking trails, if I remember rightly. (not counting day hiking nature trails) Water is rarely a problem. The moderate season is wider than usual for mountainous areas.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

one awsome trail, I like to hike is the massanutten trail. I did it in about 2.5days, but if you hike 7-15 miles a day it would take you about 5 days.

it is a 72 mile loop circumnavigating Fort Valley in Front Royal Virginia.
    A little history about Fort Valley is that it is where George Washington planned to take the troops if we failed at Yorktown.

for more info
    try here

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools