Topic

Updated Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Updated Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Thanks for the review. I've owned a thermawrap jacket for years and it is the most wind-proof jacket; we live in the wind around here. Got to have something to do with the calendered treatment of the fabric. I've been eye-balling these parkas for a couple of years now. The addition of a hood has to extend the comfort range and pockets are always nice!. I can wear the thermawrap with a montane litespeed jacket and a beany under the hood and I'm good into the teens easily.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

what kind of guitar is that in the background? :D

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The one in the case is a Taylor Big Baby. The one you can see leaning against the case is a cheap Yamaha that has had the neck snapped clean in two twice. Both times I glued it back together with wood glue and vise grips :)

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I have an endless sizing question about the Montbell jacket you just bought.
    I am 5’10” and 170, you are 5’11” and 160 so it’s close.
    I am interested in the fit around the shoulders as my shoulders are disproportionately larger than the rest of me.
    There’s a photo of you standing with arms outstretched but the more interesting position is with your arms folded across each other which would tighten up the back. When I sleep I end up in positions like that.

Would you be able to:

a) Comment on that position.
    b) With the jacket inside out, provide a measurement of the distance between the arm pits. 22” is what I’m expecting for a loose fit
    c) With my arms by my sides the circumference around my shoulders is 49”, what’s yours?

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Based on the images, it looks like the length of the jacket is a little short for me, however I am also 5'11", I like clothing not to ride up when I bend over etc. Also the arm lenght looks a little short.

Thanks for the Images and details, it has helped me pick the size that I need, one up from the medium. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will have one.

Cheers again,
    Mark

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I replied to Pedro via PM before I realized he also posted here. Perhaps he can paste that text here since i can't find a way to access it now that the PM is sent.

Mark, post up some pics when you get it.

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Here is Dan's reply:

Pedro,

a) I think your shoulders will fit fine in a medium. The cut around the shoulders is quite spacious and the sleeves are adequately long. However, your large shoulders might lift the jacket up a little, which might make it feel a bit short depending on how long your torso is.

I find the length of the jkt to be borderline and it will probably be similar for you since you are 1" shorter but with larger shoulders. It kinda depends how you like your jkts to fit.

b) 21"

c) 45"

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

@Dan, I sure will.

Cheers

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Ok so I tried on a Medium Mont-bell down inner jacket lastnight that a mate of mine got in a few days ago.

Just as I suspected, it is a little short in torso length, arms seemed fine. I am also of the thinking that it is tight in the chest.

At this point I will be looking for a Large, just to be sure.

Cheers

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Hey Mark,

What's your weight and chest circumference?

Do you usually wear mediums in anything?
    I wear medium Icebreaker in everything as a guide.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just recieved my new style UL Down inner… Ordered the small and the medium to be sure. I am a small and was unsure after hearing about these jackets on the forum. Small fit perfectly. I am 5'10" 139 lbs… and from my measurements the small was right on. There is enough room in the chest to wear a few layers (thin layers… yes, seriously!) underneath, and there is actually quite a bit of room around the belly area. I will say that the jacket is a bit short compared to what some might be used to from street clothes(sounds like cop talk ;) I think these jackets are just gonna be short… like their sleeping bags. Arm length was absolutely fine.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Hey Pedro,

Weight is 79 KG, my chest measures about 37".

Generally a Medium is a good fit, same with Medium in pack torso.

Cheers

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

One thing I've come to appreciate about the shorter cut of these Montbell jkts is that it doesn't hang out the bottom of my outer shell layer. If it's raining, I don't want my down hanging out the bottom of my quasi-bomber cut rain shell jkt. As it is, I can cinch the bottom hem of my rain shell and the Montbell U.L. Down Inner is fully protected from the elements.

K E

@eastm002

Locale: Southern California

Im looking to purchase on of the Montbell UL down inner jackets, but i cant decide between the parka version and the version without the hood. Any thoughts?

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

My advise is to go with the parka. It is really nice to have the hood when you need it. The other option is to purchase a separate hood/balaclava to wear in your sleeping bag when the temp drops below your bag's rating.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i may be selling my '08 parka, never worn. i think im just going to get the ex-light jacket instead. not that there's anything wrong with the parka..

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Dan, thanks for the photos posted above. Would you say that the photos are accurate in terms of how the jacket looks in person? Or were they taken with a flash that enhanced shine? Im interested in getting the same color, but your photos show a darker and shinier jacket when compared to the stock catalog photos, so I was hoping to get your opinion. Thanks!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

It's not as shiny as it appears in my photos. It's a little bit more shiny than the Montbell photo. Overall, it's closer to the MontBell photo than it is to my photos.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools