Topic

Semi-UL backpack suggestion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Semi-UL backpack suggestion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

Hi Group,
    Any suggestions on a 60ish L backpack. I'm working my way to UL but between carrying some of my GFs gear and requisite tent, it's going to take some time. Weight would be 30 LBS with food/ water.

I'm going to try the REI Flash 65 and GG Vapor Trail tonight, and thinking of the Golite Quest. Although it's bigger than I need, the Quest, would'nt incur too much weight penalty over the Flash.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Link added.

Osprey Exos 58. 61 liters in L. 9 oz lighter than the Quest. 8 oz lighter than the REI Flash 65. If you don't end up using the detachable lid, you save another 3.75oz.

As much as you can tell trying out a pack at home, I liked the Exos 46 pack, but it was more volume than I needed and ended up going with a Gossamer Gear Gorilla.

David Ure

@familyguy

The Granite Gear Ozone would be my choice. It weighs 3 lbs but will carry up to 40 without collapsing, unlike the Exos, which bails at 30.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If your only going to be carrying heavier loads for a shorter while, you might want to go straight to a frameless pack and just be careful with how you pack it until you get your pack weight down. The GoLite Pinnacle is 2.0 lbs and has a 70 L capacity. That's 19oz lighter than the Quest.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I have a lot of experience in the Exos 58 and find that it is fine to 40 lb if needed, and I have never seen it collapse. Here is a review I did for BGT

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Osprey%20Exos%2058%20Backpack/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/

Will did a BPL review of it too.

I bought the 34 soon after getting the 58 and have a lot of use with it too. All under 25 lb though. I just got a 46 and started using it three weeks ago in preparation of a big hike at the end of the month. I took it on a 3-day water caching trip last weekend. On two days I had three gallons of water inside plus my over-night gear (but no stove/pot) and water for the day/night. The pack handled it better than I did…

I was a huge fan of the Talon series but the Exos has made me switch every size now. The way they keep my back cooler is a big deal. Dave (BIL) and I did a 4-day trip 6 weeks ago that I used the Exos 34 and he used the Talon 22. (Yes he is UL, I am trying.) He was soaked at our rest stops while I was just damp, and normally I am the world’s biggest sweaty Eddie.

Make sure you try it on first! There is no adjustment on this suspension so picking the right size matters. I am 6’ 3” and the Large fits me with room to spare on the shoulders, and the waist belt is almost pulled to the middle. Dave can’t borrow any of mine even though he is 6’ 2” because he has a shorter torso and is skinny (darn him).

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

Thanks for the input guys. I tried the Osprey but just couldn't get it to sit right. I need the bag fairly soon so went with the Flash for $100, for now. I'm going to keep an eye out for the Pinnacle and Ozone. Thanks for all the good insight!

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

+1 for the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone….
    it is extremely comfortable, transfers weight to the hips very well, has an adjustable torso, and you can exchange hipbelts and/or shoulder straps for an almost custom fit.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The Six Moon Designs Starlite is semi-UL, with the optional aluminum stays it easily carries 35+ pounds. I've been using mine since 2004, and love it.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

+1 on the Ozone, can't go wrong if you can manage without excessive bling (pockets and loops).

Also the GG Mariposa Plus with the new aluminum stay – I'm heading out with 25 lbs this weekend, and in the past have overloaded it past the 30 lb limit by a few pounds with the carbon fiber stays… with the new stay it will work even better. I like it for non-bear-can (or small can) trips.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I too favor the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, have used it for 2 JMT hikes. I did have a mod done to make the top straps longer to enable making fuller use of the extension collar. I keep my pack weight <= 30 lbs (base wt = 17 lbs) but with food and water, it can approximate 30 lbs, but gets bulky (I use on the JMT, the bearikade expedition cannister).

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

+1 on the gossamer gear.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools