Topic

Hiking pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

You should add Railriders to your list, if you're going to try different brands. I'm sure you could return them easily.

I prefer the Patagonia Sol to Railriders, but I have used the Railriders–not the Weatherpant but the Versatac light. It's a really terrific pair of pants. There's no question that the Railriders will last FOREVER–which can be a disadvantage if you're ever trying to explain to your wife why you need a new pair of hiking pants. I used a pair on a trip or two and did not baby them, and when I sold them on this site I could not discern any sign of wear–not a bad performance.

I freely admit that I prefer the Patagonia b/c of looks.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Another vote for REI Sahara pants. Mine have held up really well.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've been using the same pair of Patagonia GI 2 pants for about a year now and they have been great. I've been surprised how durable they are. They've been through a lot of abuse and show virtually no wear. I got them at the outlet in Salt Lake City, UT for 1/2 off.

They probabably aren't the lightest option though. Mine weigh 11.5oz in size medium. You can probably get some reasonable durable ones for 7-9oz with less pockets etc.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I will second the Pata GI 2's. Comfortable enough to wear in hot or cool weather and normal enough to wear for travel.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

A VERY tough nylon pant is the "5.11" brand of nylon canvas Tactical Pants. These are mainly for law enforcement & SWAT teams but are great for backpacking.

They have:

1. double knees W/ inside "pocket" for inserting 5.11's thin neoprene knee pads. Good for scrambling.

2. double seat

3. extra pocket reinforcements and bar tacking.

4. LOWER price ($50.) than Railriders

5. great quality – at least as good as Railriders

Eric

brad seiderer

@denali21

I must concur..the MHW fast pack pant was the best hiking pants ever made bar none.I especially liked the first version that had the zipper for gaiters at the bottom..sporty..functional..durable..quick drying..on the trail or having a beer in town these pants ROCK!! I am now forced to replenish my supply via Ebay..bring em back MHW…PLEASE!!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I too like the REI Sahara and Ex Officio offerings. I recently got a pair of Outdoor Research Equinox convertibles that I like a lot and they offer them in non-convertible form as well. The convertibles are one of the few that I have found that do not have cargo pockets. They are quick dry Supplex nylon. Advertised weight is 11.40z/323g.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone tried the waterproof Dickies pants? They look like good heavy duty pants for hiking.

I can't link it, it says I'm using profanity.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

thanks for the link, i just purchased the TDU pant in ripstop (35% cotton/65% polyester) and am interested in how they function.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Montane Terras.
    ~10 oz in a medium; lightweight, highly breathable, fast drying; zippered nylon mesh venting panels on each leg; light duty cordura panels on knees/insteps and seat.

They are very durable and excellent for warm to hot weather hiking. I use them for three season trips, with an Under Armour Cold Geat Base 1 base layer when it gets cold. I have used the same pair for 4 years now, with a lot of off trail abuse, and they are still going strong. Only downside I can think of is that Montane gear is hard to find in the USA.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools