Topic

Hiking pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    S P

@highaltitude

I never take pants when I go out. I use nylon running shorts. If it gets chilly or windy I put wind pants over them. If it gets colder then a lightweight capilene over the running shorts with the wind pants over that. Silnylon skirt for rain.

I have decided to get a couple pair of pants to take with me on some travels. I don't need the kind that zip out to shorts.

Since I have never used any type of hiking pants I don't know where to start.

Something synthetic/quick drying and light weight would work.

What kind of hiking pants do you guys like to use?

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

A lot of folks, including me, swear by GoLite and Rail Riders…

Lapsley Hope

@laps

Rail Riders for sure.

S P

@highaltitude

any particular style of railriders? It looks like they have many different pants to choose from.

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

Railriders Weatherpants are my favorite.

Dan

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

I personally like the Mountain Hardware Mesa convertible nylon pant. The waistband is particularly comfortable being very smooth, seamless, & absorbant chamois. That is very important if you use a pack with a hip belt. The Mesa normally costs $75 but has recently been on sale for less at REI.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Lots of good choices. As others have pointed out, Mountain Hardware and Railriders are good. Most of outdoor clothing companies make decent nylon hikers. I would also suggest REI store brand, ex officio, patagonia. There are also a number of light weight softshells such the Acme pants from REI, Peak pants from Cloudveil, and the lighter pants from beyondfleece. I historically looked for good fit, light weight, quick dry, pockets in the configuration I like. Recently I learned to pay more attention to the ankle wholes. Some have zippers for easy on and off. Others have dragstrings to close the pants up. I found that sometimes these extras end up rubbing me the wrong way if I sleep in the pants.

–Mark

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

I only hike in rain pants or shorts, but I own some Prana (Stretch Zion) and Patagonia (Rock Guide) synthetic pants which are nice and not too geeky looking. I also have some Cloudveil Inertia Peak pants which I find too heavy and hot.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I hike in Fjällräven Greenland trouser summer as winter. Very durable material, that G-1000, keeps Mosquitos and other insects out, is waterproof and if the get soaked they dry extremely fast. Windproof as well. Weight is 551 g in size 48, so not really UL but for Scandinavian conditions the perfect pants.

Peter Rattenbury

@mountainmule

Locale: Australia

From an expat Kiwi…. G'day Adrian. I have been lurking on BPL for a while and you seem to be the only other denizen from Godzone on here.
    Have you tried out the Swazi gear? I like the look of their shorts, but most of their stuff is way to heavy for UL use. But fantastic for farming/hunting etc.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Howdy Peter.. good to hear from another kiwi, there are 2 or 3 other regular posters here as well. And no doubt some other lurkers. Have been online a bit more recently with a lull for winter and a patch of shoddy weather… but this weekend is shaping up to be a good one for a spring comeback !

I've never actually laid hands on any Swazi gear, but have glanced through their catalogs. As you say it tends to be very heavy, by any standard let alone UL. Also quite expensive! But no doubt bulletproof.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

are superb. They're lightweight (relatively, speaking), tough as nails with reinforcements in just the right places,, and have velcro closures at the bottom.

Here in Ohio, we have two kinds of weather: hot with ticks and cold without ticks. In either case, long pants are a must, and Weatherpants serve both needs well.

Stargazer

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Hendrik: Cool, I will have to check those out. I've been using Lundhags Traverse pants (http://shop.lundhags.se/Servlet?page=11&anr=1112041&parent=sW40BS) this summer, but I didn't find them (or expect them to) to be able to withstand pouring rain. They're only water-repellent as long as the nikwax cotton proof impregnation lasts. Seems to be similiar combination of polyester and cottong on the two, but I guess the G1000 makes it more waterproof?

Love the Lundhags pant though. Most comfotable I've ever had, much thanks to the schoeller stretchable fabric on the knees buttocks and thighs.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

While the greenlandwax can make the G1000 highly waterrepellant, it also reduces the breathability. It's always a choice between those two. BTW, in 2010, Fjallraven is releasing a G1000 Lite fabric. The G1000 curently is pretty heavy stuff in my opnion.

My personal favorites currently are the Mountain Hardwear Fast Pack pants (including convertibles). Pretty light and the total layout and featureset is the best I've seen in any pants (personal opinion of course). When MHW decided no to make these pants anymore, I was sure to get some extra pants to cover the next 5 years or so. In the meantime I hope they realise the've made a mistake and bring them back.

KYLE PARKER

@swiggydiggmail-com

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I love the BPL thorofares, light, packable, bugproof. When it's cold, I just throw them on over a merino baselayer and in extreme cold or wet, I put my MLD eVent chaps on. Great pants and have been quite durable. Also, the dry very fast.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Patagonia Sol pants are my favorite. Lightweight, fast drying, comfortable, and nice looking.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

@Thomas: I was looking at the Lundhags Traverse pants, and they seem very nice, also won some awards. I'm probably getting the Atlas rain jacket and pants some time soon, and am curious how they will be. Lundhags makes some great gear for up here in the north, very comfy! Re: waterproofness =>

@Tom
    : True, if you put a nice layer of the Greeland Wax on it (its actually bee wax iirc) they become very waterrepellant. But also without the wax mine have kept me dry in short showers.

Anyhow, that are some great news you give us there – G-1000 lite! I'm looking forward to those pants!

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

@Hendrik,
    I looked at the press release and by using thinner yarns and a bit less beewax, the weight is reduced to 162 g/m² which is about 20% less than current G1000. There should be several pants, at least one zip-off and one pant which combines G1000 lite with some stretch nylon.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have three pairs of REI Sahara Convertibles that I have used hard and they have held up nicely with the exception of the zippers. The zippers (not YKK) are very small and cheap and on all three pairs of mine the right pocket zipper has failed, some after minimal use. I then just cut the zipper off and use them anyways, but it a bit of a pain. The fly zipper has held up, but it feels very fragile. The good news is REI will replace them, but I feel like a cheapskate taking my years old pants in for replacement.

BTW: The convertible zippers that attach the legs are much stronger sturdier zippers and haven't given me any problems.

John Beisner
    Spectator

@trtlrock

Locale: Blue Ridge

I love the REI Sahara pants; I have or have used hard about 10 pairs. I too have had a couple of the right-cargo pocket zippers fail, but REI will replace them. The legs are YKK zips.

Every few years I look at what else is out there but always come back to these due to the perfect pocket complement & placement, light weight, general durability, and fast-drying properties.

Good stuff.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Late to the party but my 2 cents…I've used REI Saharas, and a pair of North Face convertibles too. Like other posters just mentioned I wanted to like them but after 3 pairs, I asked myself, why am I going through so many pairs of pants? They just aren't very well built.

Then I bought a pair of Railriders Weatherpants. If you're still looking for pants in a few dozen years when my knees finally give out and you take a size 34, let me know and I'll send em to you free…I'm sure they'll still be in great shape.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

+1 for the MH Canyon (non-convertible)
    I also like the LLBean Timberledge.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I have been using REI Sahara pants, but I wouldn't consider my size XLx32 at 14.7 ounces lite weight. I wear patagonia boxer briefs underneath

I was thinking of switching to something lighter, but honestly, I don't think I could handle wearing tights.

Too bad the BPL thorofare pants aren't convertible into shorts….

S P

@highaltitude

Looks like I need to spend a day and hit all the outdoor stores in my area. I really need to try the pants on before buying. It is going to take some time though, there are lots of them.

REI flagship
    TNF
    Patagonia
    Montbell
    and a few good size independents that I am sure will carry other manufactures.

I should probably skip going to Montbell, if I walk in there I am sure to come out with a jacket :-)

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Hi,
    Just returned from two weeks in the Wind Rivers. My vote for the Montbell U.L. wind pants. Used em and loved em.
    Paul

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools