Topic

Autumn in NH, clothing options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Autumn in NH, clothing options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

For my trip in October in the White Mountains, I'm beginning to wonder if my clothing system will be warm enough. What do you think:

Clothing Worn:
    Ibex echo T
    Champion running shorts
    patagonia active boxer-brief
    Darn Tough 1/4 cushion socks
    orange hat (hunting season!)

Clothing Carried
    Driducks dropstopper jacket (5.6 oz)
    Montane featherlite windshirt (3.8 oz)
    Montbell UL Thermawrap jacket (7.8 oz)
    Sierra designs elevation rainpants (7.8 oz)
    Patagonia wool 3 bottoms (7.8 oz)
    fleece hat (haven't weighed yet)
    OR gripper fleece gloves (2.7 oz)
    MLD eVent rain mitts (1.1 oz)

For the daytime, I'm pretty sure the "clothing carried" will be just that, except maybe the gloves. In cold rain, the rain layers might come on for a while. However, early mornings and late evenings might get pretty chilly in the White Mountains.

Keeping in mind that I don't want to spend any money on new gear, does this sound like enough layers for early October in the White Mountains? I can add/replace a few things with less UL gear, such as:
    LL Bean down jacket (24 oz, super warm)
    smartwool midweight long sleeve shirt (8 oz, approx)
    heavier mittens
    heavier wool hat
    heavier wool socks.

Any thoughts?

John Schafer

@jdshiker

Your list is very similar to what I carry in the Whites except that I always have a LS shirt/light fleece. I also carry a spare pair of socks. If I get cold while in camp, I just get in my sleeping bag.

HTH and have a good trip.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Your list looks good to me. The thermawrap jacket is a synthetic insulation, right? The synthetics are supposed to be better in the wet and it's been really wet this year.

Towards the end of October, especially if you're going above treeline, another layer of long underwear, and the heavier hat and mittens might be nice. As the season progresses that heavy down coat might be real nice to have, especially camping or above tree line. Bring the heavier stuff along and decide at the trail head based on conditions and forecast.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

The LS shirt I guess is the most likely addition.

As for taking the bigger jacket and mittens… you're right. Judge it at the trailhead :)

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

hey Ryan,
    list looks good to me. Only thing I would change would be the wool t-shirt to a longsleeve. On the coldest nights the long sleeve with the windshirt and the thermawrap over should be pretty good for sitting around camp.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools