Topic

Emigrant Wilderness Trip for Kids!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Emigrant Wilderness Trip for Kids!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Dates: Sept 25th-27th

Location: Gianelli Trail Head near Sonora/Pinecrest. CA (North of Yosemite)

Map: Tom Harrison Map: Emigrant Wilderness Trail Map

Trip Plan:

1st Day: Travel 2.3 miles to Powell Lake (Grids 32-33 X 49-50)

2nd Day: Off Trail about 1 mile NE of Powell Lake to an unnamed lake North of a Meadow on the topo. (Grids 32-33 x 50-51)

3rd Day: Return approx 3 to 3.5 miles back to Gianelli Trail Head

We have two families so far on this.

My daughter, Mei-ling, is 6 year old and it would be her and I. Mei has been on about 6 to 8 trips since she was 2.5 yrs old.

The other family is a Scott and his son, David, who is 6 years old and has about 3 trips under his belt.

Looking ideally to have a total of 4 or 5 families with children so that the kids can make friends and have peers to share the adventure with.

Later tonight, I will see about getting some photos up of the area.

Just earlier this month, I was at Powell Lake with my whole family…very easy to get to and very scenic.

Please feel free to post questions here or PM me.

P.S. The Route of this trip is not in stone, so if anyone has any suggestions or feels uncomfortable going off trail and would prefer something not off trail….we are open to suggestions.

-Tony

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

P.S. The Route of this trip is not in stone, so if anyone has any suggestions or feels uncomfortable going off trail and would prefer something not off trail….we are open to suggestions.

To anyone with reservations taking kids off trail I'd offer that as long as you can be comfortable that you have one competent and slightly cautious adult leader you'll be making lifelong memories for your children.

All of my son's best outdoor childhood memories are from activities like that. One of the first was when he was 4 years old and I followed him up a big crack in a rock on a 45 degree slope … only about 20 feet of vertical gain. He refuses to believe it's the same place when he sees it today … to his 4 year old eyes it was Mount Everest!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Tony,

Is that the trail that heads in over Burst Rock or is there a different one? (No map handy, so I'm going from the always dangerous memory thingie.) Since you've been there you already know the lay of the land and I'm sure the trip will go fine.

I work with my daughter (7) on always being aware of where the trail is (I'll take her offtrail and ask her to guide us back) and what to do in case she finds herself out of eyesight. She always has a whistle (but hates the noise). I've camped and day hiked with her, but have not gone on an overnight backpack yet. Soon.

Have a great trip!

Cheers,

Rick

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools