Topic

MYOG: Modify Your Own Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG: Modify Your Own Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

With a schedule that required I stay closer to home this past weekend I decided to dye a couple of newer packs, just for fun.

I started with a new 09 Gorilla which was a stock silver/gray in color. This turned out a very dark, nearly black, purple when completed. Below are a few pictures of the Gorilla when finished.

09 Gorilla - 1

09 Gorilla - 2

09 Gorilla - 3

Next was a 09 ULA Conduit which turned out a perfect true black in color. Nothing wrong with ULA green but I'm very pleased with the black, the pictures below say it all.

09 Conduit - 1

09 Conduit - 2

09 Conduit - 3

09 Conduit - 4

It is easy to see that I need to get out and hike.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hey Thom,
    Cool idea! Looks like they came out great! Did you just use regular fabric dye?

tofu vegan
    BPL Member

@tofucz

yeah how did you do it?did you just soak the hole pack in the colour?do you think it can affect the padding and other stuff on the pack?like the foam in the shoulderstraps?

i whant to make my jam black or maby realy bright pink.but then i guess il have to bleach it first…

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I used a large container which allowed for the complete submersion of the entire pack. I removed nothing from the pack electing to dye everything. I used a high quality fabric dye, from Joanns Fabric, and followed the printed instructions. After removing from the dye I rinsed each pack until the water was clear and then washed each pack twice and hung to dry.

Disclaimer: These MYOG details are provided for information only. Proceed based upon your own research and level of comfort.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

Hey Thom,

The packs came out great! Can't wait to try this out myself; Do you remember what other colors they had available? Thanks again for taking the time to post this and sharing the great pics. Hope to hike again together again soon =)

-Aaron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools