Topic

Moisture In Lens

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Moisture In Lens

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I have a Nikon Coolpix, not a serious camera, but I use it to record the moment. My lens has fogged with a very fine mist of moisture. All pictures look like they are taken in heavy fog. Should I just throw it in my pile of old electronics, or is there something I can do about it?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Tom,

If it's simple water moisture it should clear up with just keeping the camera in a warm dry place for awhile. If it's something else, like chemical fogging (from electronics, lubricant, etc.) then there's probably little you can do short of an expensive cleaning (seldom worth if with a compact digicam).

Another possibility is fungus from longterm moisture fogging. If that's the case the lens is kaput.

Can you actually see it in the lens, or just in the pictures themselves?

Good luck!

Rick

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Oh, you can definitely see it in the lens. I'm warming it under a lightbulb and the "fog" is gone, but it still looks like there are some leftover spots inside the lens.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Tom,

That's not so bad. Minor spotting shouldn't affect image quality much. Of course the proof's in the pics.

Cheers,

Rick

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've had great luck with electronics (phones and such) baking them, in the oven at about 170. I usually let the oven it the lowest temp, and turn it off, then turn it back on in an hour. Take out the batteries first. Saved a few cell phones that went swimming like that.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I just use a hair dryer, gently blowing the hot air around the camera, making sure not to let the camera get hot. Usually takes about 15 minutes to evaporate the moisture inside.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools