Topic

advice on woman’s UL packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) advice on woman’s UL packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

evidently I did a pi$$ poor job of researching as it appears the entire line of Granite Gear Women's packs comes w/ s,m.l belt options

that opens some possibilities :)

David Ure

@familyguy

Mike – I believe as well that the womens version with the Nimbus suspension also has interchangeable shoulder harnesses.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

When people show interest in Granite Gear I recommend the Nimbus packs – being able to get the belt/straps swapped and the adjustable frame make them a great pack to bridge between ultralight and light. I have a tough time liking any of the name brand (Osprey, Gregory) because I am right on the threshold of medium/small. I had a lot of grief with an Osprey before finding Granite Gear. The Mariposa Plus I have is actually a medium – you have to look at actual measurements in some brands as the parameters are different from one to another.

The Meridian is a smaller pack than the Ozone, with the same frame setup. You can find them on sale still – there was a really good deal at REI a while back. Looks like Campmor has them for 149, Sierra Trading Post for 140 for a short. I ordered the Ozone from STP and got the right combo like magic – medium women's belt, small frame. Could have sent it to GG for a free belt swap but didn't need to.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

ahh- choices in torso and belts and straps = nice option :)

can anyone comment on the difference between the frames from the vapor line and the nimbus line?

her base weight is under 10 lbs (unfortunately mine suffers a little from this :) ) and typically wouldn't be carrying more than 20 lbs

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

My wife is Japanese, 4'8", with shoe size 5… in other words, exceedingly petite by Western standards. Even here in Japan she has a hard time finding clothing that fits and much to her chagrin she often has to resort to teenage clothing. For our trip in Canada this summer we each bought a Jam2; she a women's small. She absolutely loves her pack and it fits her perfectly. I have the older Jam2 also and though it is lighter, I really like the additions that GoLite made to the newer version. The mesh back panel makes it easier to carry in very hot weather (it was hot in BC this summer!), the top cinch strap located further down the front of the pack makes it much easier to tighten up the top of the pack for loads with less volume, the side straps being able to be crossed-buckled around the front of the pack makes it much easier to control the pack for day-pack sized loads (the Jam2 2009 is a great travel pack), the hipbelt pockets are a great boon, and even the haul strap is just easier to grab and carry for longer distances, such as when running for a bus or getting the pack out of the way when on crowded trains. It's not the lightest pack out there, but it's simple, functional, clean, and durable. Since Golite packs tend to run small in fit, a small pack would do well for a petite woman. However, a Jam2 women's small may be too small for a bear cannister. For that I would most likely go with a Pinnacle, women's small.

John Larson

@j-larson

bye

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've ordered a medium womens GoLite Jam for my wife….should be here in a week or two. I'll update then.

John, have you had bad experiences with GoLite? I've used GoLite quite a bit with good results. Most people on this site are used to being careful with their gear. GoLite's stuff is a lot more durable than some of the cutting edge fabrics people are using.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

"Whatever you do, don't buy golite gear. won'tlast but a couple trips. by dat 6 or 7 you are tired of being gentle with the gear."

John, either you are really hard on gear or I am really gentle with it (and I am not too gentle). I have several items of Golite gear including two packs that have had months of use. I have had no problems, whatsoever, with any of my Golite equipment and would recommend it to anyone who asks.

David Ure

@familyguy

Several post about how bad Ratsaks are because they 'took' some money from a buddy and now this. Lets hear your experience with Golite. Pulleeeeeze.

I have an old Gust that has seen over 5000 miles without any issues.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Just my 2 cents. I have used golite for about 10 years, I beat the crap them of it and have had very few issues. I did have a haul loop pull on a new pack and golite had a new one sent priority mail. I dont use golite now but only because they dont have any packs that suit me. I have been using osprey and love them. Osprey packs are far more comfrotable than anything I have ever used and they will repair or replace your pack even if a bear eats it. I cant say enough good things about Osprey and if golite ever makes a cross between the Jam and Ion I will be first to order one.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

"can anyone comment on the difference between the frames from the vapor line and the nimbus line?"

The biggest difference for me – the vapor series will not allow you to swap straps. It will allow you to swap the belt. I haven't had a vapor pack but am given to understand that it lacks the tepex frame that allows the Nimbus packs to carry up to 40 lbs and adjust strap attachments up and down/across the framesheet. Vapor packs also don't seem to have the pivot point belt connection, but they aren't intended to carry a lot of weight, either.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"if golite ever makes a cross between the Jam and Ion I will be first to order one."

Like the new GoLite Peak?

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Huh? Its not on thier site. Please do tell. Ali

I just looked it up at 38L for a medium its pretty much still a jam and way too big for me :(

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

What size are you looking for? The Ion is 25 L and the Jam is 51L…..so at 38L the new Peak is smack dab in the middle. The Peak also has a removable waistbelt and since the waistbelt has pockets (ie. heavy), you would probably shave off 5-6 oz by removing it. I think the sternum strap is removable too and if you removed the hydration bladder and trimmed the straps you'd probably be looking at 16oz or so.

Danielle Williams
    BPL Member

@danilou22

Locale: Colorado

I've been using the Virga for about 2 years on several long distance hikes (50-105 miles), and I love the pack. I'm 5'6" and have been between 130-145 during that time. The padded harness (more like a traditional heavier-pack harness) is really comfortable, though the hip belt is just a strap. So far that hasn't been an issue even though I was a skeptic. The Virga holds about 3200 ci (and has a ridiculously long extension collar if you really need it), which is plenty of room for me to have all of my gear including a WM Versalite, my TT Double Rainbow, and about 4 days of food. At 21 oz (add a Gossamer Gear hip belt pocket if you need it), I think it's a great option for women.

The only limitation I have found so far with it is if you are packing it over 25 pounds, it can be a pretty uncomfortable carry. But since it is rated to about 20 pounds, I can't complain. I am looking into a Vapor Ki to carry more food (30 pounds) on the JMT.

Before buying the Virga, I tried out the Jam2 and my clavicles were really sore and bruised after just one day with about 20 pounds of gear/food/water. There is just not enough padding in the shoulder straps for me. The thin layer of back padding is kind of nice, but I haven't had any problems with the Virga if it is packed right. I use a NeoAir, and even without the CCF burrito, I think it's a great carry.

I can also solidly endorse the Nimbus Meridian, which was my first Granite Gear pack. If you pull off the lid, it cuts off about 8 oz of weight. Still a 3 pound pack (and huge for ultralight at 3800ci), but with customized hip/harness, it is a great winter pack. I bought the men's version (women's color was ugly!) and switched out the straps. Perfect!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Well, being neither small nor female maybe I should stay out of this but I've got to add a big +1 to Danielle's endorsement of the Granite Gear Virga.

I was very skeptical about frameless packs but picked up a Virga several years ago on the Gear Swap forum (price was well below my pain point for experiments). I love it!

The shoulder harness is very comfortable. I left camp yesterday morning forgetting to fasten the belt and didn't notice until my poles started banging the buckles in a narrow section of trail a few miles later (maybe 20lbs in the pack at the time).

But (as Danielle said), you need to pack it "right" … which means to keep it reasonable full. I like to pack things loosely in oversized stuff sacks slightly longer than the pack is wide and slightly wider than the pack is from front to back. Then I layer those sacks horizontally to fill the pack, keeping lumpy items away from my back. Items like my sleeping quilt and insulated clothing can compress to make room for a full food bag or expand to take up room as food is eaten. When food is almost gone I move things like water bottles and camp shoes (Croc-offs) from the side pockets into the interior.

The only thing I'd improve is the external compression straps … too bad they are not like those on GG's Latitude Vapor.

If GG offered a higher volume version I'd even pay retail (unheard of!) to get it for bulky winter loads.

Unfortunately (thanks to BPL!) my typical spring/summer/fall loads are getting too small for the Virga so I might need to look elsewhere.

But as always, YMMV … I know a trim and healthy woman who wasn't able to find comfort with a Vapor Trail, which is a big step up from the Virga.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools