Topic

Fishing bare essentials?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fishing bare essentials?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Candice Jamieson

@aussiegirl

Locale: Australia

Hi everybody, new here and somewhat new to bushwalking. So far I have always taken dehydrated meal packs out bush but I am thinking fishing might be a better option. I know VERY little about fishing so I was wondering if somebody could tell me what the 'bare essentials' would be..? I assume that you dont need 15 types of lures and a 12kg tackle box…?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Candice- welcome, it would be nice to know where you are going so someone doesn't have to type an entire encyclopedia on fishing to cover what you might need.

BTW- I've fished for years and would not rely on my skills unless I've been there and know what to expect. I've fished lakes that at one time you cold throw anything in and catch something and other times on the same lake I've tried every fly in the box and didn't catch a thing. Fishing this summer has been good though

Candice Jamieson

@aussiegirl

Locale: Australia

Really showing my experience now! I do most of my walking in bushland along the east Australian coast. (average 15C nights, 28C days.) Lots of fresh and salt water fishing, the fishing is almost always incredible, and I'd have back up for emergency as well, I was thinking though, surely just some line, a bunch of hooks and a good knife would do it?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you can put together a light kit that includes a ultralight pole (pack rod), ultralight reel (w/ 2-6 lb test), a light case and a small amount of tackle all under a lb

this would make it much easier to actually catch fish (little more fun too :))

both Daiwa and Quantum (others as well) sell pretty nice (multi-piece ul graphite rods combined w/ mutli ball bearing ul reels) kits for under $50 US

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"both Daiwa and Quantum (others as well) sell pretty nice (multi-piece ul graphite rods combined w/ mutli ball bearing ul reels) kits for under $50 US"

Wow…this sounds really tempting. I visited Daiwa's site and saw the 4 piece graphite rods ('pack rods') but I couldn't see these rod/real combo's you speak of.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California
    te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

there are some pack rods/reels that dont come in a big goofy suitcase (since you wont be using it)
    bass pro shops has a 6' 4-piece and Eagle Claw makes a 5' 4-piece
    cabela's also has high quality pack rods made from IM6 graphite blanks. here's one i like: http://tinyurl.com/lk3q63

the 6' medium/light action 4pc is imho a far better choice compared to a 5' rod because that extra foot is a boon for casting lighter lures and playing fish without exhausting them.
    pricey, yes. quality, yes. you get what you pay for.

Todd Forbes

@tf

Here is an article about a rod I used this summer, a St.Croix 4 peice travel rod, by a guy backpacking in Yellowstone. They come in two different price ranges, $120 for the high-end rod with Fuji guides & reel seat and another that cost around $60 if I remember correctly:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewscps60lf4.html

I added a nice Shimano reel with 6 ball bearings for another $60 so the whole package came to $120.

I also just ordered a Tenkara rod kit which arrived in the mail today and the box was completly empty! Somewhere out West there is a guy in a brown UPS uniform fishing with my Tenkara rod! Talked to Daniel at TenkaraUSA.com and he is going to make it right, just have to send him photos of the mangled up box.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

That's disgusting that someone made off with your Tenkara outfit, but major kudos to Daniel for making it right!

Once you actually get your Tenkara rod, etc, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it a lot!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I almost pulled the trigger on the st croix, but was a little worried about something happening to it in the backcountry :)

I went w/ this instead- $30 for a four piece Quantum graphite rod and a three bearing Quantum spinning reel- I figured if it was junk I'd only be out $30- turns out the quality is very good- it's light too- the rod weighs in @ 3.1 oz and the reel at 5.5- not shabby

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quantum-XtraLite-Ultralight-Spinning-Rod-Reel-with-Case_W0QQitemZ350239007788QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518bdf242c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_849wt_760

I was also looking at the Daiwa minipsin outfit

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0010505116344a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0800102&cm_ite=0010505116344a

Mark Lems

@markl

Hi Candice
    I am down in Tanja on the far south coast NSW.
    Just fyi, if you want to lure fish, unless you are hunting Murray Cod or big Barra, a few small minnow style lures should be sufficient (up to around the 50mm size). Stick to a silvery colour, you shouldn't go wrong – they'll work in salt (estuaries) bream, flathead etc, and in the fresh on bass, trout, silver perch etc. I use a 3ft Spinning rod and 1000 series reel, they're small and they work.
    If you want to fly fish, have a look at Tenkara, although if you are a beginner, I'd stick to lures.
    Sorry about the late post, just picked it up.
    All the best.
    ML

Julian Watson

@juleswatson

Mark – how have you fared in the recent rains ? Have seen some great pics of the local estuaries.. I believe that every estuary south of Bateman's (bar Wallagoot) has opened or been opened. Good stuff.

You should get along to the fly fishing intro nights at the Bega library !

Good to see a NSW angler on board. – Jules (Corrimal, Wollongong)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools