Topic

What scale do you use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ronald liljedahl
    BPL Member

@trout-1-2

I am looking for a scale to individually weigh and evaluate each piece of my gear? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Any good digital postal scale that weighs both grams and ounces/pounds from 1 gram to 2 kilograms and .1 oz to 5 pounds. The .1-5 pound range is wide enough to weigh everything except perhaps the full pack. You will get closer accuracy with the gram measurement because most scales handle only 0.1 ounce- going to only one decimal place. These specs are shared by almost all digital scales from cheap to over $100 that I have seen. Maybe there is something better out there. If so, I would like to know about it, too.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I use a Pelouze, model SP5. Nothing special, it cost about $30 at a local Office Depot, I think. It measures as fine as whole grams or tenths of an ounce, in the weight range as Vick described. I’ve never needed anything more precise.
    -Mark

Curtis Presson

@obdewla_x

I also use a digital scale that weighs in grams, ounces & lbs. A good one is fairly inexpensive and most will give you an accurate reading. They’re especially useful as you continue to try and shave ounces. I also use a digital fish scale which weighs up to 50 lbs. so I can weigh my pack after I’m done packing up. If I don’t like my pack weight I sort through my stuff and see where I might be able to shave some extra weight.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Someone posted the Circuit City basement sale site a while back and sure enough they have/had nice little digital scales that go grams and tenths of ounces (with tare function) for $13 plus a couple bucks shipping. The quality seems good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools