Topic

Things Noone Else Packs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Things Noone Else Packs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Does MLD take 4-7 weeks to ship even for stuff like stuff sacks? Or does he have a pile on hand pre-made?

For whatever reason, the MLD site won't load for me right now but I was on there earlier today and I thought there was only SilNylong stuff sacks.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Q: -cell phone (charger?)
    A: The weight listed is the cell phone, I leave it off and only turn it in if it is needed, typically once to call wife to tell her I'm fine. In this mode it will go for 2 weeks. My trips are usually 2-4 days.

Q: -more ibuprofen? i'd take 16 pills in 1 day if my knees really started hurting
    A: Agreed 16 pills is light, but since I starting keeping diligent lists (9 trips so far) I have yet to use all 16. A light day for me is 15 miles a heavy day will get close to 30 miles.

Q: -2 pairs of socks?
    A: I have 2 pairs of socks listed. One pair is worn and one pair is spare. At night I change into the previous days socks so they seem sorta fresh. I will swap out for Smartwool PhD's depending on the trip. These area heavier at 2.2 oz per pair, but are thicker.

Q: -4 lbs of food for 2.5 days? i'm close to 3lb per day realistically
    A: Simple answer is yes…I can go with 20 oz/day leaving 8 oz on last day and always have food left over and without being hungry. Mike Clelland has a post explaining how to do this over a 3 day weekend trip. I have tested in many many times. Total calories is around 2250/day, I'm likely burning twice this, but again I'm not going hungry and is fine for shorter trips. At the end there isn't much left over, but I have never run out of food. If interested I'll post a food list.

Q: Your water tablets seem a bit heavy …
    A: Thanks, I will check this, but I'm fairly certain of the weight. The weight includes the foil packaging. If there is a lighter option I want to get it.

Q: Cuben Stuff Sacks…yeah I got these right before Joe left. He even custom sized one for me and he got them out the door the next day. All my MLD orders take 4+ weeks, but I have not ordered something simple like stuff sacks. Email Ron he will tell you.

Q: Is 5oz of fuel enough for 3 days
    A: Actually I'm now only taking 4 oz and it is plenty with a caldera cone. It lets me heat 2 cups of water 6+ times. On my weekend trips though it really is like 2 days. Start on trail at 10:00 am
    +1/2 oz – Heat Dinner Water,
    +1/2 oz Heat Tea water and washing water after dinner (optional)
    …next day
    +1/2 oz Heat Water for breakfast (oatmeal+coffee)
    +1/2 oz Dinner Water
    +1/2 oz Tea Water
    …next day
    +1/2 oz Breakfast Water
    ..hike to car

This is only 3 oz, but I usually spill a bit…have some for safety, etc. On my last trip I didnt have the cap on tight and lost almost half my fuel. I still had enough to boil water 4 times (2x dinner, 2x breakfast).

Q: The PBL merino shorts…
    A: Yes they fit snuggley like boxer briefs. You can wear them by themselves but they are fairly revealing. These things are incredibly comfortable and resist smelling. They are great.

Thanks for interest,
    Jamie

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

yea, your list makes more sense for a 2/3 day outing. i read things w/ longer trips in mind. i do admire a lot of your stuff. the WM vest probably #1.

our food varies greatly. i'm sure there is some 2300 calorie post somewhere. but i'm a tall/slender guy (6'0" 170#) and my metabolism works very fast. i'm around 4000-4500 per day

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Dan – MLD usually stocks its cuben stuff sacks. I just picked up a few more a week ago.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Mainly just the things listed in the 1st post… map, compass, carkey, or housekey, I.D, mobile phone, since I occasionally get reception on ridgetops and it gives me some safety margin when alone.

As I said before, I bring a map and compass, but the ID stays in the car along with the cellphone. The car key gets hidden just because I am afraid of losing it on the trail.

Before a trip, I print my gearlist and use it as a checksheet while I am packing…leaving something off the list would mean I wouldn't bring it.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Q: Your water tablets seem a bit heavy …
    A: Thanks, I will check this, but I'm fairly certain of the weight. The weight includes the foil packaging. If there is a lighter option I want to get it.

I didn't mean your tablets are mis-weighed….I meant that the AquaTabs are a lighter option. I just checked my gear list and mine weigh an honest 1.7g (not 1.4g as I said before going from memory) for 10 tablets in the tin foil packaging. The tablets themselves are really tiny.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

dddd
    We pack a Playmobil mountain biker. With this toy, our entire campsite becomes a huge arena of jumps, trails, and trials maneuvers. Only toy Henry needs!

I tried leaving a compass at home once. Idiot! Here's what happened: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/super_ultralight_cascades_sub_4_backpacking.html

From the article:
    I left the compass at home. I thought I wouldn't need it because I was on the PCT – one of the most obvious and clearly marked trails around. However, I didn't take into account the heavy snow on the trail and dense fog that I encountered. These required advanced navigation that necessitated a compass. Instead of finding my way easily, I got turned around and wasted time trying to locate the trail in snow fields. It wasn't smart to leave the compass at home and although I couldn't have finished the hike anyway (WAY too much snow), a compass would have made my trip safer and less frustrating. My gear lists won't be without a compass again- it's just not worth it

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Like many others, I keep the following on my person at all times, especially when hiking solo:

ID
    Health/Dental ins cards
    $20 bill
    Credit Card
    Car Key
    Knife
    Cell

The idea is that should life really hit the fan (i.e. I lose my pack, get injured, hike out, etc) that I can take care of myself (knife, for the unplanned night out) and get out (key, cash, CC, Cell) and get medical attention (Ins cards, cell). They are put with a small Ziplock or Aloksak and in a hip pocket (pants) or in an inside pocket of my running shorts.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I bring most things all UL backpackers bring-But my one vice is my Music!

Ipod
    Headset
    Small camp speakers
    Single Malt Scotch in LiL-Platy–Medicinal Purposes Only!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I always bring a car key, plus ID/cards/cash etc…not because I need the ID/cards/cash, but because car break ins are sadly not uncommon. The weight of all this is included in my list, but my list changes, sometimes subtly, sometimes not, for every trip, so I guesstimate a daily average for some items (medicine, toilet paper, tampons etc…). I don't usually bother with a cell phone as most (all??) of the places I hike are not within cell range.

Items no one else carries…umbrella sometimes, rain hat sometimes, glowstick, fingernail file, earplugs, etc…everything is itemised on my list, not because I'm anal about weights but because I print it out as a 'checklist' when packing to make sure I don't forget anything. I have this checklist laminated so I can check things off each trip, then rub the marks off with methanol to re-use the list.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ah, a good single malt. I won't leave home without it! Even bought a (ridiculously expensive) titanium flask for it! It's often Glenfiddich 18-year, or some Abelour, but I've lately stumbled across a single malt called Scapa, and is it ever smooth!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

My diabetic supplies:
    Insulin
    Blood Glucose meter
    syringes
    Insulin Pump

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools