Topic

help pick my synthetic jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) help pick my synthetic jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

needs:
    synthetic jacket to layer over down vest to get me down into teens (PA winters)

montbell's thermawrap
    patagonia's micro puff
    mountain hardwear's compressor
    any others worth looking into?

all 3 also have hooded versions – which raise the cost approximately $50. is the insulated hood worth it?

also i saw montbell makes a jacket called the 'flatrion parka', yet i've heard nothing about it.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you are talking teens… I would vote for the hood because it's a big help in keeping warm.

As to what synthetic jacket to choose. The first issue is how warm a jacket do you want. I found the Thermawrap Jacket about the same as a ~200wt fleece which has been perfect for my needs stand alone or with a WM Flash Vest depending on conditions. The Micro Puff is roughly twice as warm. I switched from a Micro Puff to the Thermawrap because I wanted less warmth… but you might want the additional warmth of the Micro Puff or even something warmer depending on how hot you run and what you will be doing in the jacket. You might find Richard's posting on A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth for an interesting discussion.

The other factors to consider are how durable / water resistant a shell do you want and what additional features do you want (type of pockets, etc). I like a few other models on my recommended insulation page.

–mark

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

What down vest are you layering over? You want to make sure you don't compress the down to the point of uselessness.
    My friend uses the hooded Micropuff as his belay jacket while ice climbing in the Narrows (Kintersville, PA). The jacket is not always warm enough for him while he is on belay duty. My Patagonia DAS is perfect.

That said, my older Micropuff with hood is a very baggy garment, obviously made as a belay jacket (designed to go over all other worn items). I can wear this over my Montbell ultralight down vest with room to spare. The micropuff pullover I have and my friends Montbell Thermawrap are not as baggy and so do not layer over other insulating garments as well.

An attached insulated hood is more than worth its weight in winter…

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

What about BPL jackets?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

My thermawrap changed the way I pack, It's really warm great hood, bug pockets, it's very wind resistant etc. I'm a furnace so… But I love my therma wrap.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yes, the hood is worth it. Especially for closing the gap around the neck – the area a hat leaves uncovered.

The Thermawrap PARKA uses thicker, warmer insulation than the jacket and is ideal. Note that I'm thin and it fits great, so if you're "thicker" :) you might want to size up.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

still sizing up on montbell's jackets?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Measure your chest, and then use that to determine size. I find that Montbell is true to its measurements.

Also, hoods are worth it on all layers that are not intended solely to be mid layers i.e. your mid piece of insulation underneath a larger piece. See MB's ExLite as an example.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

What about them? They have been MIA for over a year now. They should rename them something like the Yeti jacket or bigfoot pullover.

Dewey Riesterer

@kutenay

I have a Montbell T-wrap UL and have been very pleased with it as I find it warmer than I expected. I use it for summer hiking, but, wore it last January over an Icebreaker Tornado and was warm to about 10*F…however, I do not get cold easily.

I would add two other jackets to your short list, these are the ID Rundle jacket and the one from Wildthings in New Hampshire. I am really satisfied with the gear I have from both of these makers and they will sometimes do custom work, as well.

I find the Rundle jacket, about 11-12 oz., IIRC, to be all I need to below zero and it is the most versatile coat I own. I do not like hoods, except in extreme cold, but, that is just me, each to their own. Check out the Rundle and Wildthings, they might be exactly what you are looking for.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

thanks for all the imput. settled on a micro puff jacket (non-hood). scored a size large for $90, new

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools