Topic

Which sleeping bag should I take?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Which sleeping bag should I take?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I'm heading to the Ritter Range area in mid September and I'm trying to decide which sleeping bag to take. I'm assuming we will camp between 9,000 and 10,000 feet.

Gear:
    Gossamer Gear One
    – Capilene base layer (top and bottom)
    – Hiking pants (Arcteryx Rampart)
    – Rain jacket/pants (Arcteryx SL)
    – Patagonia R1 hoody
    – Patagonia Down Sweater
    – Wool hat and socks

I'm trying whether to take my Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree or my Montbell SS 1 (15 degrees).

I used the Montbell on another trip to Mt Whitney about the same time of year and was plenty warm. I have use the Marmot and similar clothing into mid 20's in NC/VA without any trouble.

I've only been to the Sierra's a few times, so any feedback would be suggested. Maybe the best option is to take both bags out and just check the weather. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

You would probably be OK with the Hydrogen as long as you don't mind sleeping in a lot of your clothes. It can easily get down to 25° at night in mid-September in the Sierra above 10,000' and I have seen it get colder. When I go there that time of the year I take my Marmot Helium and I sleep sufficiently warm without too much in the way of added clothing. I have used a lighter bag with extra clothing clear into October but got a little chilly as the morning approached. Of course, I am in my early 70's and don't sleep as warm as I once did.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" When I go there that time of the year I take my Marmot Helium and I sleep sufficiently warm without too much in the way of added clothing."

+1 with a WM Summerlite.

Oops, I goofed. I confused Charles' Helium with his Hydrogen. I was voting for the 30* option. Sorry.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Thanks guys. I'm starting to think that is the safest bet.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Just to make sure everyone's on the same page… Helium is 15*F, Summerlite is 32*F…

A lot of it is so personal… Kind of depends on how you like to sleep, too. I hate being cold at night and tend to error on the side of a warmer bag. Recently, though, I've used a 30*F bag even for temps around freezing. With a down vest or jacket it's been fine.

Also kind of depends on solo vs traveling with someone; slightly more safety margin with another in the mountains. (Not meant as a solo-travel flame, I've done a lot of it, too.)

I think if you're uneasy about whether or not the 30* bag is warm enough, then you should probably bring the warmer bag. If it's more of a "Hmmm, I wonder…" question, I'd probably roll with the 30* bag. Personally I'd probably take the warmer bag on a trip in the mountains.

My half-cent.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools