Topic

Cuben Fiber – Q&A

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber – Q&A

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

I knew it was an oldie, didnt take much notice I just thought it worth a shot. Has anyone seen the Cubictech offerings aluminized offerings? Are they still colored? Does the color then become 'solid'. Was it you Colin trying the laminated tow(?) to reinforce the diagonals?

All the Best

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I have some of the aluminized uncolored cuben. I haven't seen the colored and aluminized cuben, but I know it has been used in several commercial products, including some tarps available from Lawson Kline (I think).

Yes, I'm still (gradually) working on the tarp with the Vectran tows. I'm using 0.48oz "black" (gray) cuben for that.

Wild Exped
    BPL Member

@bankse

Locale: OZ

I have some mid-weight green cuben though I was thinking of buying some black from Joe just to have a look/ purchase. I had my eye on a duomid, perhaps down the line, but just also wanted a tarp design that isnt being offered (a big one for groups, hence buying 18m of the green…

I find all these old testings fascinating. Having alternatives in the manufacturing seems like a good idea for cubictech. Thanks for your (and the other contributors) efforts (back then), they must have inspired many diy projects.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

Im pretty new to MYOG but I got a decent machine (brother se400) and I'm ready to rock! this thread really helped answer some questions, so to those who think bringing back old threads is silly, your a little off base, stay in chaff…

this aluminized cuben looks interesting, thanks for sharing that… its amazing how many new cottage stores I'm finding in my research, again thanks to all those who CONTRIBUTED to a very informative thread!

Paul Sandhu

@psandhu977

Locale: Foggy left coast

Hi everyone,

Does anyone still have some alumenized cuben fiber for sale? I need a few yards.

Thanks

Paul Sandhu

@psandhu977

Hi Colin,

Could you advise me on where I might buy the aluminized cuben? I tried cubictechnology.com but they want 9m orders minimum

Please advise

Thanks

Paul

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Lawson no longer has tarps using this material on his Web site. Does anyone know why?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

There are several reasons why I stopped making cuben tarps, but the main reason is because there is too much competition and not enough demand. I am sure HMG, MLD, Zpacks and Gossamer Gear sell a ton of tarps but I have never been able to get any traction with the product. Even when my tarps were cheaper, used higher tech materials, came in more configurations and were in stock ready to ship, they just were never hot sellers.

I am now focusing my attention on high quality made in the USA accessories. It seems like alot of people reduce pack, bag and shelter weight but don't bother with their other gear. I think accessory items can drop more weight then anything else. Chad with Sticksblog.com wrote an article how he used my mini dropper bottles to repackage his Aqua Mira to reduce his pack weight by 2.7oz. So as you can see, accessory items can really make a difference and there seems to be less competition and more demand. Especially for high quality accessories made in the USA.

LawsonEquipment.com

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hate to hear that Lawson. Your tarps looked very well made. Good luck with the new direction. I know a lot of the MYOG'ers will appreciate the hardware selection.

Ryan

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I'm sorry to hear, that, too, Lawson. But I hope you will keep offering your very well made cuben dry bags (and popular, too, I think, since they've been sold out on a couple of occasions when I referred other hikers to your website)

Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

When you contacted Cubic, did they give you a price for the 9 meters that needed to be purchased. I would possibly be interested in a group buy of some type depending on the price.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

@Larson

I thought your tarps were great, even the best, but I couldn't get myself to use a shelter without netting.

I think the aluminized cuben could be great for other things as well. A rain skirt could be a good application because thinner cuben could be used without showing the townies what we're packing.

Paul Sandhu

@psandhu977

Hi –

Please let me know if anyone gets some aluminized cuben.

I'd like to buy several yards

Thanks

Paul

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I have an untouched 9m roll of aluminized, uncolored cuben that I probably won't find time to use. I believe it has the heavier mylar on one side (0.18 mil) and the lighter mylar on the other (0.08 mil). The product code is CT2K.18/KM.5 and it weighs 1.29 oz/square yard. I'm happy to send all or some of this to anyone who is interested in using it.

I don't want to make any profit (I like the idea of giving it away, actually), but it cost me about $25/yard if I remember correctly. So, I would probably want something like $18/yard for it. Shipping cost would depend on where you are and how you want it shipped (folded or rolled), I guess. My gmail address ([email protected]) is a better way to reach me than BPL PM.

UPDATE: A BPL member brought to my attention a recent thread about reflective cuben in commercial shelters like the Rocket Tent. Apparently, there have been problems with the material delaminating:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=53566&startat=20

So, keep this risk in mind. For those who would accept the risk, there are two more yards available.

UPDATE 10/4/11: All of the material has now been spoken for.

Paul Sandhu

@psandhu977

Hi Colin,

I just sent a pm about the cuben.

Thanks

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools