Topic

Sierra CREST Route! ooooh, ahhhhh, ouch!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sierra CREST Route! ooooh, ahhhhh, ouch!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Browsing through the books at Wilson's in Bishop, bang! What's this??

Published last summer, the Sierra Crest Route, looks like an adventure. First off, it's a clear step up in difficulty from the Sierra High Route. It sticks much closer to the crest, while staying at or below Class 3. Leonard Daughenbaugh, the author, says you need to carry climbing gear and be comfortable on class 4. Sounds reasonable. Essentially, my first look at the route makes it seem like you climb one peak, descend the ridge, go back up the next one, repeat, repeat for 228 miles. It's within one mile of the crest the entire time. The book is vague, and it'll require a whole lot of your own research to complete.

The book: http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/store/sierra-crest-route.shtml

On the web: http://sierracrestroute.org

RJ Secor's review: http://angeles.sierraclub.org/news/SS_2005-07/SierraCrest.asp

Who's going to be part of the first group? At this point, it's part of my 15 year plan. He's hoping to extend the Crest Route north and south, for a whole long way.

David Loome

@davidloome

Locale: American Southwest

Oooh wow. I did the High Route just recently and was wishing it was longer when I finished.

This looks like a pretty significant step up though… geez. Thanks for posting the link, pretty cool stuff.

Jack H.

@found

ah! somebody cares. As of now the website only has 777 views.

I like your blog btw. And we met very briefly near the post office in salida (?) last summer while doing the CT.

Garret Christensen

@garretchristensen

Does anybody know of anyone that has done some/all of this route? I did the SHR this summer and now this looks like a possibility, but I haven't been able to find any online accounts of anybody doing it.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I read your blog. Keep it up.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

There was a great article on this route in Backacker last year. I dont know the issue but Im sure you could google it. Ali

Jack H.

@found

Ali, are you sure it was an article about the Crest route and not the High route? I remember a series about the High Route from last year.

Garrett, I doubt anyone has done it all yet. It's such a small production book and it's not on most people's radar. I'd suggest looking at the climbing websites though for people who may have done it. Check out climber.org, summitpost.org and others.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Jack, I think you are right on that one. Both sould like great hikes. Ali

golite jamjr

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools