Topic

0.6oz cuben?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 0.6oz cuben?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

If you cruise around reading about cuben stuff, it seems like just 'bout everybody is using what they call ".6 oz" cuben. The thing is, Cubic Tech makes CT0.6K.08 at .56 osy and CT1K.08 at .68 osy. The closest fabric weight is actually CT0.3HBK.08, an extra bias fabric that's another ~$15/yard and I'm pretty sure no one's using that. So what fabric are people referring to as "0.6 oz?" CT0.6K or CT1K?

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

When I inquired about cuben from cubic tech, they said the CT1k.08 is the stuff everyone is using.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Brad asked about:
    "The closest fabric weight is actually CT0.3HBK.08, an extra bias fabric that's another ~$15/yard and I'm pretty sure no one's using that. "

I have or had 9 yards of the +$15 a yard Cuben that I use for areas that need more strength. The stuff is super strong. If you look at some of my Cuben threads you will see, what I call the 4 cord or 4 ply Cuben, in the pictures.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hey, Bill-
    Thanks. That HBK is really amazing stuff. I have the sample pack from CT, and I've been drooling over the (high bias?). I'd rather build my mid from the HBK stuff, it's just so much stronger, but it hurt$$$. 15 yards at $22/yd is $330; at $35/yd it's $525!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Brad,

I mostly use the 4-ply stuff to reinforce seams where I think the most stress will be. I also use it for pack panels that need a bit of extra strength.

When I think about the cost of the material I use I think about what something like I am making would cost and how much it will weight if I bought it.

Most of what I make even with some high cost per square yard material is still cheaper than what the same type item would cost to buy ready to use. Then the weight comes into play and that is always much lighter for my MYOG things.

I don't have a cell phone, I don't have cable TV and I "eat out" almost never. I take that money and spend it on my hobbies and don't worry about it. My two main hobbies are hiking/backpacking and building model trains. One for outside and one for inside. When I can't do one I do the other.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools