Topic

2009 so far

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 2009 so far

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

There's a spot that burned some years ago, it's like a bald now.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Tis was the big one so far. 64 miles in five days, big elevation changes. It rocked. Nasty thunderstorms, wild boars, wild boyscouts, bears, bees, dogs and cats, living together, Mass Hysteria! I finally got down the official under 10 lb base weight, the mrs. was at 8lb's.packs

Big trees!trees

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Our tarptent.tent

Inside the tentinside

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

In case you're wondering…
    GG mariposa plus
    Tarp tent rainshadow
    Jrb No sniv with hood
    neo air
    GG thin lght
    Jason Klass style gravity filter
    couple of plattys
    driducks xl jacket, fits over my pack, or worn like a parka or cape (frodo style)
    photon light with velcro
    basic first aid
    titanium flask of bushmill's
    pattagucci cap base layer and bpl pants
    Comfort, style, under 10 lbs.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

head

Trail!trail

More trailtrail 2

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

You're on a neoair and she's on a t-rest prolite? How's a guy go about getting a gig like that? he-he

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

ha, it's my old prolite too! Once she sees this I guess I'll be calling Gossamer Gear and gettin' a neo for her. Anybody need a prolite3?

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

And after this last trip (Overall Run falls in SNP) my wife is gonna get a neo air. We did a big gear overhaul. I got a Gossamer Gear sil-murmur, and we got a Spinn Twinn and a caldera keg gvp. (Full disclosure We're becoming trail ambassadors for gossamer gear, so we have a bias. But we're not employee's. and we're doing this out of love for the brand) That being said I love my new sil-murmur. It's a very smart, light and comfortable pack. I see it as my weekender and not my weeklonger, but If I keep shedding weight??? Ok here's some pics.ansel
    That's my I wish i were Ansel Adams shot!Here comes the fall, best season for trekking  in VA
    Here comes the fall, best season for trekking in VA

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

wife
    My wife, Stephanie and her sil-murmur.needles
    Trees!

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

tents
    Me and the Mrs. lent out tarptent to my lil sis Liz and her man Tim.packs
    Here's three of us, Tim's in my GG mariposa plus. We all went pretty light. My pack and my wife's were 8lbs-ish, we didnt weight Liz and Tim's but they had to be around 10.liz

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Liz's probably less, she was in an REI day pack, nice pack, but it weighs more than our murmurs.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

tarptent
    Side viewwert's arm

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Rick,

Not only great pics – I love your attitude towards it all!

Thanks to your pics & your wife's pack weight, I may get my wife out more often! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and BIG congrats for getting your packweights down so low!!!!

Todd

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Thanks, Todd. Man get her over the little stuff and get her out there! If you hike along the AT there's privvys so if she has to….
    I think you can see me and my tough lady easing into the Light in this thread. We want people to know how much more fun this is with a light pack and how comfy it still is. Preaching to the choir on this thread I know, but she's doing backpacker.com as lady-ultralight, and I'm gonna start a , gulp, twitter and fliker about the backcountry, ultralight backpacking, and getting started UL.
    Thanks again.

Paul Hansbarger

@paulhansbarger

Locale: Western Montana

Hey Rick –
    I live in VA and was going to try and do a 1-2 night backpacking trip in Shenandoah National Park soon. Got any suggestions for a good, scenic trip in the Shenandoah backcountry? Haven't done any serious backpacking for a while so I probably wouldn't want to do more than 6-10 miles per day. Any good loop hikes you'd recommend where I can park my car and get back to it without too much out and back?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Paul, One of the nicer trips in the Shenandoah (6-10 miles/day) is White oak canyon, Old Rag Mountain, and Cedar Run.

Park at White Oak Canyon and hike down to valley and camp near junction with Cedar run. Next day hike the Berry Hollow Fire Road the the Saddle Trail to the summit of Old Rag. Enjoy lunch on top. Then Continue on Saddle trail down the spine of the Mountain. There is a little climbing involved, but its a blast. The trail will end at Weakly Hollow Fire Road. Take this back to Berry Hollow and back to Whiteoak Canyon trail. Continue on whiteoak trail short distance to Cedar run. Camp along cedar run. Its a bit difficult to find spots but about half way up if memory serves me you can cross the stream and flat ground can be found along the slight ridge. Wake up to the rushing water and continue on cedar run to the AT. Take the AT north to White Oak parking.

There is some incline for Old Rag and going back up Cedar Run. I'll guess about 2000 feet each, but it is worth it.

If you want to see a bunch of trips go to the Park Service web site for SNP. Search around the backcountry/backbacking areas. You should find one of the best set of trips I've seen on a park service web site. It lists easy, moderate, and difficult trips with options from 1 night to over a week. It spells out where to camp each night.

Good luck, Jamie

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Paul, It was a bit difficult to find so here is a link.

SNP Backpacking Trips

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

White oak, and Old Rag are classics. If you're gonna be in the park on the weekend in the fall they'll be packed. Jeremy's run/knob mountain is up north and a little more secluded. You'll see folks along the run but you'll have knob all to yourself.

Overall run falls is another good trail in that area. If it's been raining the falls are awesome. If not, skip this one.
    Overall Run: Tallest waterfall and awesome swimming pools/dinner spot: Over all run trail and loop with Beacher Ridge or Hieskell Hollow. Camp near intersection with Overall Run and Beacher Ridge overall connecting trail. Thats were the pools an a couple of established spots are.

Nicholson Hollow: Lot of old homesites and a PATC cabin. Multiple route possibilities. Established site where Nicholson Hollow meets Hot Short Mtn Trail. Love that spot.
    South River Falls/Pocosin Hollow: Tall waterfall, old mission, old oak tree, cemetery..
    If you find any on the site, chances are we've taken it. If you need more particulars, let me know.
    Happy Trails.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

What BC campsite did you use at Assateague?

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools