Topic

Making a Groundsheet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making a Groundsheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Josh Howard

@jhoward

I am going to cut painter's plastic to serve as a groundsheet for my seedhouse sl 3. I haven't seen an "actual" groundsheet before, so I wasn't sure if anyone had advice on cutting it. Should the plastic be cut larger than the base of the tent? Should it contour to the base of the test? Does the groundsheet need to be staked down? Any advice is appreciated.

David Ure

@familyguy

The groundsheet should be cut an inch or two smaller than the actual footprint of your tent to prevent water from getting under your groundsheet, pooling, and potentially wetting through.

No need to stake the groundsheet.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

What David said, though I'd recommend cutting it a bit smaller yet–say 3 or 4 inches smaller than the perimeter of the tent. Those things have a habit of shifting a little, and sideways rain can get on a large one relatively easily.

Josh Howard

@jhoward

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools