Topic

JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Hey all,
    I didn't feel right hijacking another's thread on the same topic so started my own. Please pick apart my gear list; always looking for ideas to lighten the load. thank, Steve

gear
    McHale Sarc-chasm Backpack, roll top mode
    Western Mountaineering Apache S-Dry loft Sleeping bag
    Thermarest Neo-Air Large
    3 Silnylon stuff sacks
    Mountain Laurel Design SpinnPro Poncho/tarp
    6 Ti Stakes / guy lines
    Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy
    2 REI UL carbon trekking poles
    Swiss Army Knife Classic – just enough knife
    1-2 liter platypus
    60 Katadyn Micropur tablets
    Princeton-tec Scout Headlamp, no strap
    1 Bearikade weekender
    Arcade token (for opening bearikade)
    1L Ti Pot
    Ti Spoon w/long handle
    Ti Mug
    Alcohol Stove – caldera cone
    Sparker
    Fuel, denatured alcohol ½ liter in a 1L Playtpus with nozzle cap; buy ~1/2 liter at MTR
    1.5oz cup size measuring cup

clothes to wear
    Patagonia baggies shorts
    Patagonia silkweight longsleeve t-shirt
    1 pair Injinji toe socks
    Asics Gel Trabuco Trail Runners
    Orthotics
    Tilley Hat
    MTR claim check
    Scrap of paper with phone #
    A bit of cash
    Credit card
    Medical insurance card
    Drivers license
    2 Contact lenses
    1 pair Native Eye Sunglasses
    Suunto Compass/Altimeter watch
    Bandanna
    ½ oz eye drops
    Tin of lip balm

clothes to pack
    Patagonia UL Windbreaker
    Long pants
    1 pair Injinji toe socks
    REI Gossamer Vest
    100 wt fleece gloves
    100 wt fleece beanie
    Patagonia silkweight short sleeve t-shirt
    Patagonia silkweight thermal bottom

first aid
    1 roll Leukotape
    5 band-aids w/antibiotic ointment
    Meds (Benadryl, Sudafed, Imodium, Advil, Dramamine)
    2 sheets 2nd skin
    2 compeed patches
    1 large safety pin

emergency/repair:
    40 gallon Trash bag
    Small roll duct tape
    Needle & thread
    Whistle
    Sparker
    6 pieces fire starter

cleanup kit (resupply consumables as needed at MTR)
    ½oz Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap (rethink this, do I need at all?)
    Fingertip Toothbrush
    SS Wire Toothpick
    Mini Pack Towel
    Spare contact lens
    1oz Renu cleansing solution
    Toilet paper, 40 sheets
    1 gallon ziploc (for used TP)
    Poop stake
    1oz Hand gel
    ½oz Ultrathon
    1oz Sunblock

miscellaneous
    Canon S70 Digital Camera, 2 batteries
    Harrison JMT Map Pack
    Car key
    Small notepad, pencil

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

hey Steven,
    looks similar to my list I am starting with next this week. Only two questions…

1) Are you carrying a rain jacket (maybe I just missed it) or are you just going to do a windshirt with fleece under?
    2) Are you bringing an entire roll of Leukatape? I am just bringing a foot or two.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

What are you wrapping the leukotape on? And how does a redo affect the adhesive?

For rain I am just using the poncho. If I need something waterproof once in camp I can fashion the garbage sack into a makeshift poncho. I dropped the rain jacket a couple years ago along with a tent when I remembered how as a Boy Scout I used to get along quite well without both.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

ah ha, skipped right over the poncho. That in combo with your windhsirt will work well.

I normally re-wrap my tape around a larger sized paperclip but for this specific trip I wrapped 2 feet around a super small container of Gold Bond (travel size) I will be carrying.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Jonathan, how does rewrapping affect the tape adhesive. I've not used leukotape before and while definitely not needing a full roll am concerned that it won't adhere when pulled a 2nd time.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Steven –

"What are you wrapping the leukotape on? And how does a redo affect the adhesive?"

Try a pen barrel, or similar. I tried a cut down carbon fiber arrow shaft and found the ends splinter – they can add injury to insult. Also, whatever you use, it has to be big enough to hold onto. Leuko is tenacious, and pulling it off something to small is really tough.

As for re-do on the adhesive, I had no problems the first time around on a 11 day JMT in early July. It was hot then. Last week I used it again and found it pretty well baked, with the adhesive starting to de-bond. So, good for a warm trip or two, but needs to be checked (or chucked) after that, IMO.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

I made a small roll, but finally settled on wrapping the leukotape lengthwise around my blood donor card. Packs really flat and seemed easier to pull off a length.

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

no extra pair of lenses?

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

I carry a spare (it my clean up kit), and have a fresh pair shipped in my MTR resupply.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Is 1 oz of Sunblock enough for the JMT

I just spent 5 days with the same length of Leukotape on my feet, stuck on with Tincture of Benzoin. I was surprised how long it stayed on, so you may not need to bring as much extra tape as you might think.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

I'll start with one ounce which has typically been more than enough for a week and have another ounce included in my MTR resupply.

Steven Tomson
    BPL Member

@srtomson

Locale: Washington/Idaho

Steve – this looks like a real good gear list to me. What is your base load weight ? Steve

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

I don't know how much it weighs…yet. I've never carried this exact list, the closest trip to this weighed in at about 15 lbs, so that is my current guesstimate.

I'll be tossing it all together this weekend and making the final tweaks. I'll post an actual (to the pound, no digital scale) weight then.

David Ure

@familyguy

Curious to know what that Mchale weighs?

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

My pack weighs 3.8 lbs.

David Ure

@familyguy

Looking forward to your weight list. I think the pack would be the first thing to question if only because I think you are going to be quite light given your posted list.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Yes, I could shave 2 or more lbs from my load with a different pack. Been there. The load carrying ability of the frame and harness offer me comfort that I find more than offset the savings for anything more than a weekend trek.

For the most part given the feedback so far the list will change little, maybe with the exception of the thermal long johns which if the "10 day" suggests stable weather I'll leave behind.

A future upgrade for me may include a top bag or quilt which would probably suffice and save a pound vs. the WM Apache.

Still I like throwing the list out there, it changes a bit trek to trek, and I always get a few ideas that help me reduce just a bit more than I though about myself.

thanks, Steve

Michael Popov

@mpopov

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

"I dropped the rain jacket a couple years ago along with a tent when I remembered how as a Boy Scout I used to get along quite well without both."

Hmm… I have seen Boy Scouts groups this year. Nothing has changed. Same 50 lbs pounds "everything but the kitchen sink" philosophy.

Maybe you were one of the advanced 'scouts. Used matches as logs to cross the sream and fire all night long in lieu of bear boxes.

No, scouts are stil being traditional. Not even a glimpse of UL.

Michael Popov

@mpopov

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

"Curious to know what that Mchale weighs?"

No mystery here, 195 lbs at 6'2' height.

David Ure

@familyguy

I thought he was lighter than that…..

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

""I dropped the rain jacket a couple years ago along with a tent when I remembered how as a Boy Scout I used to get along quite well without both."

Hmm… I have seen Boy Scouts groups this year. Nothing has changed. Same 50 lbs pounds "everything but the kitchen sink" philosophy.

Maybe you were one of the advanced 'scouts. Used matches as logs to cross the sream and fire all night long in lieu of bear boxes.

No, scouts are stil being traditional. Not even a glimpse of UL."

Well today yes. But 40 years ago I carried little more than a poncho, sleeping bag, a strip of ensolite, warm jacket, and sock cap. It was after my scouting experienced that I added the myriad 20+ lbs "necessities" to make my hikes more comfortable. I finally "wised up" after lugging 75 lbs along the CDT through the Weminuche and realized I was actually less comfortable with that load than as a Scout.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Steven, loaded up the pack today. In answer to your question my base weight is 16.3 lbs, includes everything on the list. (a skosh over 15 lbs. if I don't count the stove fuel)

Peter Rattenbury

@mountainmule

Locale: Australia

G'day everyone from me [ in Australia ], and my first posting on BPL, so again Hi from Downunder. I am planning for the JMT next year [ August – Sept ] so your gear list is most useful, thanks Steven.

I can translate most of your items into Oz-type language. For example I guess Advil is an aspirin/paracetamol product?
    Altitude is something we don't have where I live so I would be interested in comments on how folks prepare for high altitudes. Headaches?
    Cheers, PJay

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Advil = ibuprofen
    Dramamine = Meclazine HCL

Regarding altitude I live in Phoenix at 1200ft so altitude is a problem for me if I don't sustain my aerobic ocnditioning. I press it hard, sustaining 160pbm for at least 30m per workout, 4x per week. With this it takes me about 3 days before I feel "strong" at elevation and other than sucking wind for a couple days have no ill affects.

However, elevation response is highly individual. I have a friend who is in similar condition and going above 10k on the first day darn near kills him. The compromise is to spend a night or two at the highest nearby elevation. For instance, if hiking up from Whitney Portal we'd stay the night before at Cottonwood (a nearby trailhead/camping area) that is a bit higher than the Whitney Portal. That seems to help him.

Peter Rattenbury

@mountainmule

Locale: Australia

Thanks for that info. on meds. It must be an advantage to live at 3-4000ft. I am doing my homeword on altitude sickness and will take appropriate steps to avoid it if possible. As you say it is a highly individual thing, a bit like sea-sickness. You're OK one day and lousy the next. My plan [ from eight thousand miles away ] is to acclimatise by spending a couple of days at least at altitude [perhaps Toluomne Meadows ] before pushing on…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools