Topic

Sierra High Route-1 partner needed for a section

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Sierra High Route-1 partner needed for a section

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Michael Chamoun
    BPL Member

@snowchief

Locale: SoCal

I know this is last minute notice but is anyone (1 person) willing to join me on the Sierra High Route from North Lake to Reds Meadow starting WED AUGUST 12. It'll be around 6 days. I started to thru-hike it the beginning of this month but my partner got hurt coming down a gnarly Class 3 descent off Frozen Lake Pass. It's about a 55 mile (62 total if you include non-SHR miles) section with probably 10-15 mile days (off-trail is slow going). I've already backpacked the first 65 (Aug3-8) until the incident. I have maps/compass/permit and need a partner with experience who is in top physical condition and who is comfortable with talus fields and the like. Would rather have a real person than SPOT with me.
    My email: [email protected]

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about your partner's injury. I can't join you. However, I will be at Red's on the 20th, and starting the 21st I will be hiking the Route northward, going as far as Horse Creek Pass. From there I will be climbing Matterhorn and then returning to Tuolumne via Don't Be a Smart Pass. Perhaps I'll see you out there.

Between North Lake and Red's, it's really nice. For me, White Pass was the most intense.
    Have a safe trip.

– Klas

Michael Chamoun
    BPL Member

@snowchief

Locale: SoCal

Hey Klas,

Have fun on your trek. I will be out by the 17th so unfortunately I don't think we will meet. White Pass was long but I think Snow-Tongue was much more extreme to me. I'm looking forward to the rest. Take care.

Michael

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Sorry, I meant White Bear Pass, between Feather and Lake Italy, on the section you're about to do… enjoy!

– k

Dave T

@davet

Dave T

@davet

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Dave, you are correct, Roper even lists that as an alternate route.

On white bear I found myself gripping willow branches. Too sketchy. I think I overcompensated and actually went too far right. I remember I was in a hurry.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Is it really that sketchy to hike the Sierra High Route solo? I'm contemplating this for a solo trip either late this year or next year. I understand that there are increased risks involved (cross-country, scrambling, very little traffic, etc), but for the experienced long-distance backpacker is it still seen as foolhardy?

Dave T

@davet

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Thanks, Dave. I spent some time reading past threads on the SHR and am going to start a new thread with some questions I have that you, Klas and maybe others might be able to answer.

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Hi Zack,

I did the SHR solo.
    I carried a PLB.
    I think there is a very small fraction of people who are suited for it.

Looking forward to the new thread.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Klas, I would love it if you could find my new thread titled "Sierra High Route Discussion" and check out some of my introductory questions.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

That thread is found here.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

thanks, Greg–I have no idea how to post active links like that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools