Topic

Seedhouse 1 vs Fly Creek – comparison

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seedhouse 1 vs Fly Creek – comparison

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Thanks for a great comparitive report.

I'm 6'0". In my really puffy 15F degree bag, I'm fine in my Seedhouse 1 SL, but it seems like if the tent were any shorter that I might be compressing the down around my feet.

Did you try out the Fly Creek with a really puffy bag? Did you experience any down compression around your feet?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

hey man that's a great comparison! i would love to see more of that in the future. would've been extremely helpful when i was picking out my shelter and sleepgin bag

David Ure

@familyguy

It would be nice if BPL.com did one as well….;)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

> Jim – I don't think you could put enough pressure on the head or foot of the tent to cause the bag to lose it's insulating properties… maybe if you were 6' 6".

Great, good to know. I was just speculating because my Seedhouse SL1 doesn't have a lot of room to spare down at the foot when I use my 15F Phantom which is really puffy.

I really like my S'house SL1, but I might have checked out the Fly Creek if it had been available at the time I made the purchase.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thanks for the comparo- the fly ck is on my short list for a solo tent

I'm 6' so I shouldn't have any problems w/ length

your impression of the vestibule- I see the MSR Reflex has almost double the vestibule (9.5 vs 5.5 for the Fly Ck)- maybe that's overkill for a average size pack and boots?

it comes w/ 11 stakes, how many in your opinion are really needed (I'm assuming some are for guy lines)?

thanks

David Ure

@familyguy

A big vestibule is nice. The thing about the MSR is that one can have gear in the vestibule and still enter and exit at will from the tent. If the Carbon Reflex were cheaper it would be more of a direct competitor to the the Fly Creek.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Assuming that the Fly Creek operates along the lines of the SH SL1 (which I believe it does), you can generally leave out two of the stakes except in very windy weather.

Essential Stakes:
    Door/end of vestibule: two, one on each side.
    Front end of tent: two, one on each side.
    Middle of tent: two, one on each side.
    Rear of tent: three, one on each side, and another at the the point of the very end of the tent.

Optional stakes:
    Stakes to guy out the front of the tent.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

please! i'd really like to see owners of multiple shelters do this. perhaps throw them all into a seperate forum section. i really wish i had those views when buying my 1st couple of tents…

again, i'd like to see the same thing done w/ sleeping bags/quilts

Travis Naibert

@tnaibert

I have used the Seedhouse SL1 for my entire PCT Thru-hike this summer and I have found that you really only need 6 stakes:

2 for back side corners, 2 for mid-side guylines, 2 for front vestibule corners.

Staking the back center corner is redundant with two other stakes so close buy. Ditto for the front corners of the tent if the vestibule is staked. I have been in some strong winds numerous times, I would guess 40+ mph, and nights of continuous rain in Oregon. I would think that six stakes would also be enough for the Fly Creek and the original seedhouse 1 (not SL).

I haven't used the Fly Creek UL1, but I am thinking of switching to it to shed some weight for future trips. I am only 5'6", so I am not too worried about the slightly smaller size. I am wondering if anybody has had condensation issues with the added non-mesh sides or if the ventilation is still adequate with the fly on? And also, if anybody has used both the Seedhouse SL1 and the Fly Creek UL1, is the Fly Creek any warmer due to the higher non-mesh side-walls? This could be a bonus for shoulder season.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Mike I just wanted to thank you for posting the side by side comparison of these BA tents! I just purchased a Fly Creek but have been a little worried about the size. I'm 6'1" and quite skinny so I just barely fit length wise. Since the tent is wide enough I am also able to fit my High Sierra Summit 45 bag on its side next to my sleeping pad. I have only set the tent up indoors using weights in place of stakes. It looks a little wider in your pictures so I think I'm going to be quite happy with it. In about a week I'll be using this in the Smokey Mountains!

I like numbers so here are the actual specs:

Tent with fly, body, poles, all bags, and 9 stakes weighs 2 pounds 3.6oz on my digital scale. You can add about an ounce for 2 extra stakes and the guy lines which are also included. BA lists this packed at 19" Long but if you fold the poles correctly its only 17.5". I can fit the tent nicely in the outer mesh pocket of my Camel Back MULE full with 100oz water!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

that's 2 lbs 3 oz correct?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Yes that was a typo the actual weight as listed is 2 pounds 3.6oz.

John Smith

@mojo1819

Mike, Just wanted to thank you for posting this comparison, I've been trying to decide between the two myself.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

The Fly Creek UL2 is about the same weight as the Seedhouse UL1. Much more space too but an extra $100 retail. The extra fabric does seem like it would help with cool breezes and if cost isn't an issue the UL2 looks worth the marginal 4-5 oz. weight penalty over the UL1.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

The Fly Creek UL2 is on my "gee I wish I was rich" list (right behind the Mont Bell SS Hugger #1). At 2lb 2oz (plus 2 ounces worth of titanium stakes & triptease), it's barely any heavier than a tarp/bivy/head net combo and would be close to palatial as a solo tent.

Some day…

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

They are all a trade-off. Any of them are an improvement over civilized living and waking up in my bedroom.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have one. It seems like a decent-enough tent for being so lightweight… as long as you are not tall. It is not big inside.

–B.G.–

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools