Topic

Maroon Bells – Snowmass Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Maroon Bells – Snowmass Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I recently completed a multi-day trip in the Maroon Bells – Snowmass Wilderness. I crossed 3 of the 4 passes of the Four Pass Loop, and also spent a rest day at Snowmass Lake. As a geologist, it's always a treat to go to an area where the results of a variety of geological processes are on display at such a large scale.

I flew from Houston to Denver, and rented a car. I spent 1 night in Dillon, CO., and 1 night at the Silver Bell Campground, before hitting the trail. On the way home I spent 2 nights in Dillon, CO., before flying back to Houston.

Day 1 — My longest day — about 12 miles from West Maroon Portal (the normal overnight parking area was full) up to Crater Lake, then over West Maroon Pass and Frigid Air Pass, and into the massive, wildflower-filled, Fravert Basin. I camped for the night just above King Falls.

Day 2 — I continued further down into Fravert Basin, then up and over Trail Rider Pass, and down to Snowmass Lake, where I camped. A fly rod would have been great to have — some nice trout were being caught from the creek draining the lake.

Day 3 — I spent the day at Snowmass Lake talking with other backpackers, reading, and just relaxing. It had started raining for several hours at about 3AM. The rain stopped for most of the morning, but by early afternoon, it was back to periods of heavy to light rain, accompanied by some thunder and lightening, with some short periods of no rain. By late evening the clouds had moved out to a spectacular sunset. This was the coldest night of the trip — probably down into the upper 30s.

Day 4 — I set off down the Maroon Snowmass Trail toward the trailhead above Snowmass Village, with a couple of other backpackers who were also heading out that day. We spotted a bear paw print in a muddy section of trail, but didn't see any bear. After reaching the trailhead, the couple I hiked out with gave me a ride to the Aspen Highlands ski area, where I was able to catch the shuttle bus back up Maroon Creek Road to the area where my car was parked.

Looking at the loads carried by other backpackers, I believe I was the only one going UL. The trip wouldn't have been as enjoyable if I had to tote 40 or 50 pounds, instead of 20.

West Maroon Pass
    West Maroon Pass is up ahead

Purity Basin
    Purity Basin

Fravert Basin
    Massive Fravert Basin, descending from Frigid Air Pass

Snowmass Lake
    Snowmass Lake, descending from Trail Rider Pass. Trail Rider was the most difficult of 3 passes I crossed.

Snowmass Peak
    Clouds at sunset over Snowmass Peak, after a day of rain and thunderstorms

Logjam
    Snowmass Creek crossing point — the Log Jam. It helps to step lightly here

Snowmass Creek valley
    Looking back up Snowmass Creek valley

Look back
    View of the Bells on the way back to the car

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools