Topic

Bay Area BPL Winter Camping Thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area BPL Winter Camping Thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 176 through 198 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

What stove works best for what we will be doing?
    Caldera/Alcohol or Giga with canister?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that alcohol doesn't work well in cold temps. It won't vaporize and burn properly.

I'm bringing my MSR Pocket Rocket, and even then I know I'll have to warm the canister in my jacket/bag.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Jack: I'm set on a shelter. Borrowing from a friend. Thanks though.

David L.: What time should I be at your house Saturday morning? Is that where we are all meeting to arrange carpool? That would work best for me because I'm in the East Bay.

Re stoves, I have the same understanding as Dave L. re alcohol. And most canister stoves have problems at cold temps too, but sounds like won't be that cold and you can keep it in the bottom of your sleeping bag at night so that it works in the morning. I'm bringing my Coleman Exponent, which works fine in snow at cold temps. White gas is also ideal for snow camping.

Thanks.
    -Jeremy.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Jeremy/Morgan –

My preference is to leave my place at 8:00.

Katharina and Josh plan to be here between 7:30 and 7:45.

Does that work for you guys?

David W. and Jack, ok with you?

If I can get an email address for Jeremy and Morgan, we can move it off the board…PM me.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

nm

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

You people have fun!!! I wish I could make it but I have rugby game this Saturday morning.

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!P6130157
    Emigrant Wilderness in June! Bring your warm clothes.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I'm in and I'm bringing my son.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

That's four per car…I think we're maxed out without adding more wheels.

PM me your email address so I can put you in the loop…

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

How does blue berry pancakes and maple syrup sound for breakfast on Sun. morning before we hike out, my treat. Let me know who wants some so I will know how much to bring, or if you guys want I can just make the regular kind. Jack

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Bring lots of them…
    Also David, if I pick up 2 more in Modesto, that'll be 5 in my car, right?

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

sounds awesome.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

base weight except boots and snow shoes is 27.5 pounds. I'm a dork i know.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I'm right there with you, even after taking some stuff out, I think its the pancakes, syurp and oil, fruit, 3 liters of water!!!!!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

…all up including consumables….ouch….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Could be worse. You could be considering pulling a pulk.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

The trip started well enough until Josh began shoveling snow on his son, Ocean.josh

Ocean retaliated with a snow ball, which Josh attempted to deflect.ocean

The snow ball drew blood, sides were drawn, a war erupted and Bay Area BPL was no more.

More pictures to follow I'm sure.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Alright, now that I have caught up on some sleep I'll post the rest of my pictures and tell the real story. David L. Jeremy, Josh, Morgan, Katharina, and Ocean (Josh Son), picked up Jack and I in Modesto. A little over an hour later we were at the winter trailhead located at the Dodge Ridge- Crabtree Road junction. The elevation at the trailhead was about 6,100 ft. There was plenty of snow on the ground after the series of winter storms we have had in California. The weather on Saturday was incredible. Sunny skies with highs in the 50's.

David

Our destination was Aspen Meadow, which is about 3 miles from the winter Crabtree trailhead. In the summer Aspen Meadow is a popular pack station. The walk was almost almost entirely uphill, resulting in an elevation change of almost 900ft.

Jeremy enjoying the leisurely hike

Ocean offering Kat a snowball before battling dad in a snow fight.

We arrived in camp in mid afternoon and began to set up our shelters.

Morgan setting up his winter palace with room for three Czars comfortably. St. Petersburg has nothing on this place, which is fit for BPL royalty.

12 Jack successfully pitching his new tarptent

David L. putting the finishing touches on his tent.

Jeremy finishing putting up his MLD shelter which he borrowed from Cameron. Ocean enjoyed the only real 4 season tent. Its a good thing the weather cooperated or else he may have ended up with some unwanted guests stopping by for the evening.

91 Josh's hammock and tent. It must be nice to be off the snow at night!

Jack, Kat and Josh enjoying the snow table complete with seats.

87 Josh on his snow bench car seat and countless down jackets on. He must have been warm.

86 Morgan and Ocean in his snow recliner, Complete with arm rests and beer holder.

Jack, Dave L., Jeremy and I were only out for one night so we ventured back to the car in the morning. Since it was all downhill, the 3 mile return trip took less than a hour. Morgan, Josh, Kat, and Ocean held down the fort for another night.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Man, you had some great weather this weekend!

50 degrees, probably did not feel like winter at all.

How were the night time temperatures?

Thanks for putting up the photos to share.

Too bad that I could not have made it out.

Jeremy….how did the Duo Mid work out for you?

And are you going to get one now after having a chance to use it????

-Tony

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Tony,

We missed you out there. My report wont do the trip justice but others can fill in the gaps when they get a chance. The weather was spectacular. There was no wind at night and lows were in the mid to low 20s according to Dave L's thermometer. It warmed up nicely in the morning to thaw us all out.

I only brought a neoair sleeping pad and felt the cold coming through my pad all night. Lesson learned. Next time I will bring two pads.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Good work Dave!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Hey gus I'll post as soon as I can, but tonight I have to get my stuff together for my accountant. TAX season I hate it!!!! Hopefully by this weekend. Jack

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have lots of pics, but it'll be a while before I can post them. The extra day/night up there was great. We dug a whole to the ground and had a cozy fire to warm up to. Thanks for the fuel you guys left us, and thanks to David for the snowshoes and the extra mat I borrowed. Let's do it again soon.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Here's a few pics from our weekend:

father and son

Father and son: Josh and Ocean looking like family before their snowball fight.

Kat

Kat gettin her groove on in snowshoes.

The trail

The hike in.

Aspen Meadow

Our original destination: Aspen Meadow. We camped in a clearing a little past here.

camp kitchen

Morgan and Ocean in the luxurious camp kitchen.

DuoMid

My first attempt with Cameron's DuoMid.

I had a great time everyone. Definitely want to get out again in the snow soon.

Jeremy.

Ps. If someone wants to start a trip report or photo thread from this trip I'll cut and paste these to move them over. Might be easier than wading through the beginning of this thread to get to photos.

Viewing 23 posts - 176 through 198 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools