Topic

Cleaning A Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Cleaning A Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Help. I have never done this before.

On a day that my buddies and I went cross country over a 13,000 ft. pass, I lost my Smith sunglasses, broke a hiking pole and then as I was filling my hydration bladder I spilt Crystal Light with water all over my pack. It was a rough day. I could not clean the pack in the field due to having to hustle that day.

How do you clean and scrub a pack??

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

Ken, If I were you I would remove the metal stays (if your pack has them) and shake all the debris out of the pack (or turn the pack inside out and brush it all off)… first I would attempt to clean it just using a scrubbing sponge and water and maybe a very gentle detergent – a really small amount mixed in with the water, not placed directly on the pack. Make sure to rinse with clean water after. If that approach failed I'd gently agitate it in a tub of warm water/small amount of mild detergent and then repeat with clean water until there is no suds/dirt. After that, wipe down the pack as thoroughly as possible with towels/paper towels and then lay outside to dry. Do this on a very hot sunny day!

Should work ok. Of course, my pack has straps and a hip belt that are not excessively padded so it dried great.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools