Topic

One All Around Camera, Light and Professional: Does it exist?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography One All Around Camera, Light and Professional: Does it exist?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Jen Mills

@dyaxen

It's a lot to ask of a camera, but the search is worth the inevitable discovery. I'm going to be buying a motorcycle within the next couple of months to live on. It will have everything I own, which needless to say is not very much even now. Price is no object (within reason). I do freelance writing, photography, and graphic design, and therefore end up taking about every kind of photo there is. I do landscapes, weddings, artistic, and modeling photos. I've been searching for a massive upgrade to my camera anyway as I've recently gotten a lot more business and need to step up my work. Combine this with my need to travel, and pack light, and we have a dilemma: How to have a professional camera for all flavors, preferably with only one lens (2 if needed). I won't have much space on my bike, but I'll make room if I have to since photography is a big part of my life. The key part here is that I need an all in one machine, as compact and professional as possible. Waterproof would be a major plus but it's merely a dream I fear… Thanks in advance for any advice/suggesstions :)

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I've been looking at the new Olympus EP-1 for an upcoming project. Apparently DSLR quality, with interchangeable lens, but much smaller and somewhat lighter (~1 lb.). It looks very nice–maybe someone here has had experience with it?

Benjamin Evans

@bevans

Locale: Atlanta

Lumix LX3 or Sister Leica Dlux4

I have the Lumix and it is an exceptional lightweight, small camera,with excellent build quality, and fantastic results. A google search will lead to many excellent reviews.

I particularly like the wide angle and speed of the leica lens.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

First off, how light are you talking? Also, are you looking at DSLR or trying to go lighter in a newer digital non-slr? Does your publisher have requirements such as needing RAWs?

It's worth mentioning that there are some very light non-digitals, but for your use, you'd probably burn up too much film for practicality.

DSLR wise, a Nikon D60 is reasonably light and more compact than many of the other models. It's quite flexible with a 18-55 and 55-200 lens. Granted, I've wished for more zoom and occasionally for a wider lens, but that's what I pack on 99% of my professional jobs. I've seen 18-200mm lenses, but am not sold on the compromises that necessitate the advantage of getting one lens.

My problem is all of the rest of the crap I carry for it, but I could easily pair it down to a polarizing filter and a ND and extra batteries. No way around it though, giant memory cards are the way go to for traveling when you never know when you'll offload.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I'm going to limit this to cameras that have raw mode as 'professional.'

In the compact category, the Lumix/Leica LX3 as mentioned before or the Sigma DP-1 or Canon G10. The Sigma is capable of amazing image quality due to a large special sensor but has a fixed wide lens.

In the DSLR/EVIL category the new Olympus EP-1 looks really nice as well as the Olympus E-420/520/620 series. The Lumix GH-1 also looks good. Note that these are 4/3 format sensors which have slightly worse noise performance at high iso but are still miles away from the compacts.

I have the Lumix LX3 and like its performance/weight/compactness ratio. I'm waiting for the next revision of the Oly EP-1…

This is a good resource:
    http://www.dpreview.com/

Anonymous
    Inactive

No offense… but, no one is going to hire you for any real work, be it editorial, wedding, etc., if you show up with one small camera and a single lens. Mybe Terry Richarson, but not you. Not a good start to stepping up your game. Really, not trying to be negative… just being honest. One camera and one lens? Nikkon F3hp and a normal 50… 1.8 will do. Will last a lot longer and continue to produce better results than anything digital and disposable…

I still get paid to shoot film… so can you.

Light and compact? Toyo Field 45CF. Shoot large format and scan your negs… No digi can touch it. Of course, someone will certainly steal that off your momo…

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There are amazing photographers that produced significant bodies of high impact work with basic cameras (links to photographers not cameras) such as manual focus rangefinder often with a single lens, or a cheap SLR like the Nikon FM-10 with a cheap zoom lens, or even a consumer grade digcam like the Olympus 4040. Most of us aren't at this level though… so we need image quality and whatever help the equipment will provide for compelling images.

IF my primary goal was going after in high quality images in all environments I would pay the weight and bulk tax and bring a semi-pro, or pro DSLR with high quality glass (typically a mix of primes and f2.8 or f4 high end zooms), and likely have two bodies so I wouldn't have to swap lens at a critical moment and at least two flash guns which support wireless triggering.

IF I would looking to a camera that was first "compact" and second provided decent versatility and acceptable image quality in most situations I would pick the new Panasonic GF1 along with the optional digital viewfinder. . The GF1 is not pocketable, but pretty close. Good image quality to ISO 400, usable to 1600 for decent size prints with post processing. Interchangable lens (which are way smaller and lighter traditional SLR mounts). But it can't do "everything". No fast enough for active sports. Not sensitive enough for low level available light photography, and a very so/so flash system which would be a handicap in some situations. The G1 is the camera I most frquently use because it's not a pain to carry. That said, when I really care about the images, and especially when I don't get second chances like shooting the live part of the wedding I wouldn't use the G1. I would pull out a large sensor DSLR.

IF I was looking for a camera that could go into my coat pocket and give me the the best image quality (with a fixed lens) Leica X1; Sigma DP-1*, DP-2. Goes in the coat pocket with a zoom lens (at the cost of image quality) Panasonic LX3, Canon G10, 11 or S90. The LX3 is my daily carry and typically my backpacking camera. I have gotten pleasing images with this camera but there are lots of situations (especially lower light) when it's not that great.

There are lots of camera review sites. Off the top of my head I would recommend looking at dpreview.com, observations from luminous-landscape.com, http://www.reidreviews.com/, and news stories from http://www.seriouscompacts.com/

–Mark

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> no one is going to hire you for any real work, be it editorial, wedding, etc., if you show up with one small camera and a single lens.
    So buy a couple of very cheap second-hand film cameras with lenses and tote them along. Don't have to use them of course – don't even have to carry any film for them!

Cheers

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Wow, that Toyoview is like a lightweight Crown graphic or Super graphic, very cool.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ToyoFields are super cool! We use the all metal version with a revolving back… but when I was teaching a yearly workshop/class at CalArts, a few of the grad students had purchased the carbon 45CF model ($500 with student discount) and I thought it was great! Very light! We shoot large format with a toyofield as often as we can get away with… especially when working for the shelter mags… but if space is an issue or when time is an issue, as is usually the case when shooting anyone of "importance", we grab our Mamiya RZ ProII's…

Rob Harrison
    BPL Member

@robhar54

Locale: Pacific Northwest

…is not so much the image quality–which these days can be pretty darn good with any of the compact cameras mentioned above that shoot RAW–it is that you can't get the extremely shallow depth of field you can get with almost any film (or large sensor digital) camera with a fast lens. (OK, image quality does suffer in low light with small sensor cameras, so that's also a limitation.) This has drastically cut down the number of keepers I get when I'm using a compact digital. I still do use it, but I sure would like more.

The larger sensor compacts have more potential in this area, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be happy until I can afford a full-frame digital. Sigh.

Meanwhile….

Years ago I traveled the US for a summer with only an Olympus OM-1md and a 50/1.8 lens. It was a fantastic travel kit, and with maybe a 50/2 macro instead (if you could find one) it would still produce superb images. Costco does a pretty good job of scanning film for quick review, and if your images get selected for publication you can always have them professionally scanned–and end up with a 100mb file that can be published in any magazine or book. (In fact…I have done that recently with OM images–well, one book and 8 or 10 magazines.)

Maybe I'll try that this weekend….

Rob in Seattle

PS. Oops, sorry, I forgot the bit about weddings, models and such being part of your work. You need a full frame digital for that. :-) And a compact for rides. (At least that's the conclusion I have come up with for myself–I also ride a bike.) Or,if price is truly no object, just go straight to the Leica M9. My current fave review site is http://reidreviews.com/. Besides writing reviews, he is a pro photographer doing weddings and architecture…and he rides a motorcycle.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Yeah, that is the trick, especially for weddings. Since shallow DOF is a function of the physical aperture size and distance to subject, getting that creamy bokeh for anything other than macro takes physically large glass ('circles of confusion' from photo class).

I used (and still have) OM-1 and OM-2 bodies with the 28mm and 50 mm lenses. Great little cameras, but I can't get the mercury battery that makes the meter work :(.

Have you looked at the Sony A850? Full frame, Sony or Zeiss glass, reviewed here:
    Luminous Landscape Review of Sony Alpha 850

If money was no object, an M9 with the f0.95 Noctilux 50mm would be a killer rig…amazing bokeh

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, that M9 is super sexy.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

"Light and compact? Toyo Field 45CF."
    Gee, that's 3.42 lb without lens. My Speed Graphic is 5 lb with lens and could be reduced to probably 4 lb by removing irrelevant gizmos (I won't do that). I have some antique sheet film cameras that use I think 9 cm x 12 cm film that are much lighter, but it's hard to get the film and holders.

For professional use, medium format film cameras are interesting. For my own use, antique Zeiss and Voigtlander rangefinders.

The reality is that digital cameras have gotten so much better that I'll use mainly digital.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

> OM-1… great little cameras, but I can't get the mercury battery that makes the meter work :(.

The OM-1 was a gem. It's possible to update the circuit powering the meter to work on the voltages of modern batteries. You might want to check around you area to see if you can find someone who will make this adjustment for you. People also claim that the 675 Z/A with a bit of filler is close enough to the correct voltage to work well. I have no experience but there are plenty of information on the web by people who are keeping their older cameras and light meters functioning properly.

> Go with M9 and 50mm

I loved using Leica M series cameras and lens… but I have to say that I have more "keepers" with a highly responsive (D)SLR. The Leica was faster to operate when my prefocus was good… but if I needed to readjust I found that a god DSLR would auto focus quicker than I could. Of course an M in the hands of a master with trump me every time (unless I get luckly which is more likely to happen with a DSLR and a decent framerate).

Hmm… we have gotten pretty far afield from backpacking and photography.

–Mark

Rob Harrison
    BPL Member

@robhar54

True, we're heading off topic here, but just to finish up….

John Hermanson of Camtech is THE repair guy for the OM series cameras.

http://www.zuiko.com/

I have had several OMs CLA'd by John (including the OM I took on that trip in 1976 and still use), and they have come back just perfect.

The Olympus mailing list is a great resource for used gear and knowledge:

http://zuikoholic.com/

Rob in Seattle

Anonymous
    Inactive

Walter, I was simply pointing out that the 45CF is lightweight imaging powerhouse… by no means an UL pack camera… I would be happy to carry it on a mortorcycle, not that either of my Ducatis have luggage compartments.

Yes, we are way off topic here… or are we? anywho… yes, digital is here to stay. In the consumer/prosumer market it can't be beat… until next year, and the year after that… thank goodness for credit cards, camera brokers and fleabay.

I was simply pointing out that much can be done with a manual 35mm camera body and a normal lens… for little money… and with little space taken up. Clients and prospective clients usually don't care what you've taken a photo with, so as long as they are pleased with the results… so, no you do not need the latest and the greatest in budget busting gear… especially if you are just starting out… putting together your book. 35mm is a great travel camera… and a wonderful learning tool. Nothing wrong with the small negative, though most photo editors do hate looking at 35mm contact sheets…

Just sharing some insight with someone (OP) who appears to be entering into the business… didn't mean to upset the rest of the professionals who already know better ;)

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Wow, didn't know of these resources, thanks. I think i did hear about people fixing those classic Gossen lightmeters to work with non-mercury batteries at one point…

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

Locale: Korea

The M9 will do most of what you want. It lacks in sports and long telephoto work, but it doesn't sound like you do much of that. It is a far lighter system than a dslr, with better quality and cheaper than a D3x. You will want at least three lenses though: 32mm, 50mm, and 105mm for portraits. Of course most wedding photographers carry more than one body and switch between a wide and tele lens. If money is really no object, buy two!

The Mamiya 6 is also the best hand held medium format camera out there, and it is lighter than a dslr as well. Again a normal and a tele lens will be needed.

Its not about the camera though, plenty of good work can be done with almost any camera.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

+1 of the Mamiya 6… and several other medium format range finders. I never owned one but got to use a friends a number of times. Like the M9 fast moving (where movement location can't be predicted) or long shots down work, but for other things they are great.

The one thing I am not sure about these days is low light performance. It used to be that film had a huge edge modulo that the processing was time consuming and involved chemicals and a darkroom. These days the best performing DSLRs certainly are better than the film I was using 15 years ago… and maybe modern films as well. I don't know.

–Mark

Willem Jongman

@willem

I have a shelf full of Nikon bodies and lenses, but for years all I would take on a trip is just one manual body and a 2.0 35mm and a 1.8 85 mm lens.
    I have also been drooling over the M9. It is the first camera that I can really use like the camera's of old, without the interference of menu's and what not. It is just a simple to use camera that gives you full control, including a superb rangefinder for perfect focussing at low light (I always wanted one), and with the highest quality results. With a 35 and 90 mm lens it would still be all I need….

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Bit short on wide angle?

Cheers

Rob Harrison
    BPL Member

@robhar54

Indeed. Like Ross said, a 35/2 Summicron, a 50/2 Summicron of any era (I have a collapsible one from the '50's that makes superb images and can be on ebay for ~$350), and a 90/2.8 Elmarit-M (~$800 on ebay) would do it all, and be half the volume and weight of a DSLR system. A friend of mine has sold his M8 and is getting an M9…I hope he lets me hold it someday…;)

Several generations of photographers have built careers on one M body and a 35mm lens. For a recent example, check out the work of James Whitlow Delano. Incredible travel images of China, mostly.

But, before you spend $12,000 on a body and three lenses, like Ross said, it's the person behind the viewfinder, not the camera. You could make a career using a Holga! And THAT is REALLY light. ;)

BTW, I ended up not taking my OM this weekend. No room! Drat. Have to pare down other stuff to fit it in I guess.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

That's an interesting idea on the Holga. I love some of the images I have created on mine, but never thought of taking it hiking, but as you say it is very light.

Ross Williams

@xavi1337

Locale: Korea

If you rescan your 35mm you will see that it will still out resolve the best dslrs. This is true even from film 15 years ago. The last great leap in film tech was back in the late 80s/ early 90s with the Fuji Velvia film.

One thing that has been totally overlooked so far is off camera flash. If you are going to be doing weddings, you MUST have a good off camera flash with intelligent ttl metering. Expect to drop 400USD as a minimum.

Also, go used for the Leica lenses, they keep very well.

To promote the Mamiya once again, the leaf shutter is ultra quite and can flash sync at ridiculous speeds. It may be hard to find a flash that will work "intelligently" with both a leica and Mamiya though

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools